• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm getting married and Moving with my son, can my ex wife stop me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawk4040

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I'm a divorced father with joint custody, but full physical custody. My ex wife left Utah with her boyfriend who she eventually married 9 years ago and lived in Washington State and now Alaska. Our son has lived with me the whole time and he is now 13. He hates going and visiting his mother, but I encourage him to go anyways. I have plans to get married finally after being divorced for 9 years. My ex wife is saying she wants custody of our son because I'm moving to California and Utah is his only home he knows, and wants him to come to Alaska to live. I am disabled and have been able to be home and raise my son, and will continue to do so. Does she have any grounds to get custody of him all because I'm getting married and moving to California, which would put him closer to her in Alaska. I have given her more than a 60 day notice, but she is threatening me claiming that I can't move. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I'm a divorced father with joint custody, but full physical custody. My ex wife left Utah with her boyfriend who she eventually married 9 years ago and lived in Washington State and now Alaska. Our son has lived with me the whole time and he is now 13. He hates going and visiting his mother, but I encourage him to go anyways. I have plans to get married finally after being divorced for 9 years. My ex wife is saying she wants custody of our son because I'm moving to California and Utah is his only home he knows, and wants him to come to Alaska to live. I am disabled and have been able to be home and raise my son, and will continue to do so. Does she have any grounds to get custody of him all because I'm getting married and moving to California, which would put him closer to her in Alaska. I have given her more than a 60 day notice, but she is threatening me claiming that I can't move. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Well, unless she files an objection in Utah court, you're in the clear. Heck, even if she did file, she doesn't have a case. Ignore her threats. Just make sure you honor the current visitation order.

BTW, it's kind of funny that she wants the child to move to Alaska because the only home he knows is Utah. She's not very logical, is she?

LdiJ

Well, unless she files an objection in Utah court, you're in the clear. Heck, even if she did file, she doesn't have a case. Ignore her threats. Just make sure you honor the current visitation order.

BTW, it's kind of funny that she wants the child to move to Alaska because the only home he knows is Utah. She's not very logical, is she?
I agree. She has zilch for a case. However, I am going to be blunter that the previous poster. Stop encouraging your son to visit his mother, and instead made it absolutely crystal clear that he MUST visit his mother for the scheduled times. If anything were to cause you problems, it would be not following your court orders to a "T".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">