• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm not sure where the heck to put this ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

veryangrygranny

What is the name of your state? texas

what, legally, is a private investigator allowed to disclose about you? I have a neighbor who is very nosey, and her son is a PI. She gives him information she knows, even if it is a name and a birth date...and he comes home with all sorts of "goodies". From if they have any tickets to where they went to school. She even has a list of the social security numbers and Driver's licenses of practically everyone on the block! Aren't some things sacred? She doesn't even have a reason to have this information!

We do have a community watch program and that is her "excuse".

One of her other sons posts on chat message boards all the time and he finds out things about people he talks to. That can't be right can it?

I'm half tempted to turn this guy in for giving out this type of information, but I have no idea who I'd contact if as a PI he is wrong for what he is disclosing, or where I'd find out what you can and can't know.

I thought background checks were for employers and things of that nature, and you have to get permission to even do that. Has that changed?

BTW - I'm not the person who actually has this name on here, I don't have a computer so I am borrowing hers and didn't want to cause her any problems with two people on the same computer here. I'll keep checking back though.

Thank you for your help!

HomeGuru

veryangrygranny said:
What is the name of your state? texas

what, legally, is a private investigator allowed to disclose about you? I have a neighbor who is very nosey, and her son is a PI. She gives him information she knows, even if it is a name and a birth date...and he comes home with all sorts of "goodies". From if they have any tickets to where they went to school. She even has a list of the social security numbers and Driver's licenses of practically everyone on the block! Aren't some things sacred? She doesn't even have a reason to have this information!

We do have a community watch program and that is her "excuse".

One of her other sons posts on chat message boards all the time and he finds out things about people he talks to. That can't be right can it?

I'm half tempted to turn this guy in for giving out this type of information, but I have no idea who I'd contact if as a PI he is wrong for what he is disclosing, or where I'd find out what you can and can't know.

I thought background checks were for employers and things of that nature, and you have to get permission to even do that. Has that changed?

BTW - I'm not the person who actually has this name on here, I don't have a computer so I am borrowing hers and didn't want to cause her any problems with two people on the same computer here. I'll keep checking back though.

Thank you for your help!
**A: it all depends what specific information the "goodies" are and how they were obtained.

V

veryangrygranny

I thought I put enough of the "goodies" in my first post...sorry!

Driver's license info, social security number, previous addresses, credit reports, where they went to school, who they live or associate with, any divorce or that type of thing...she practically knows everyone's life story, good bad & ugly! It's the personal identification numbers that scare me.

My neighbor is a nice woman, she chit chats with everyone, sends birthday presents over because she keeps that information on her "list", but she's old. I don't think she knows what she has might be wrong to. I only found out because I really didn't want to give my birthdate to her (well, at least the year!) and our conversation led her to showing me everything...thinking it was all innocent to have. I'm not so sure it is.

my big concern is that her bit of a delinquent sons...the one who prowls the computer scene and the possibly shifty "PI" are targeting these innocent people for identity theft. You read so much about it these days.

Her son gets the birthday from mom, has the address & name since it's a neighbor and whatever other information she might end up chattering with a neighbor about...and then he does, whatever a PI does to find things out according to her.

If I call the police, I'm worried about getting my neighbor in trouble. Her son's I don't care about, but she isn't a criminal. If the son's were doing something illegal by getting this information and them possibly using it, could she end up in trouble too?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">