• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im on SSDI and one of my children is disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rzpc2018

My question is should I apply for disability benefits for him or can I even? He already gets a small payment on my record.

Rzpc2018

I have read it, I just cant tell if hes approved if he will even get anything. I also was under the impression he can file based on my work history and get ssdi. But already getting a payment based on mine although it low seems kinda confusing.

Just Blue

I have read it, I just cant tell if hes approved if he will even get anything. I also was under the impression he can file based on my work history and get ssdi. But already getting a payment based on mine although it low seems kinda confusing.
How old is this child and what is the disability?

Rzpc2018

How old is this child and what is the disability?
Hes 9, hes got a list, ODD, distachment disorder, adhd they say but it's one I'm not convinced of. It's not really about the money, I just want to do right by him. I Had a severe stroke when I was six and i Lost all function in my left side. My parents didn't seek this stuff out so When I was an adult I was sorta in a pickle. No work history and they never filed o. There's so I had to do my best until I had worked enough to apply. By the time it was over my hip was shot my knees and I had another stroke. I just want him to have help if he needs it. I Hope he doesnt

Janke

SSDI is for disabled workers and their minor children and their disabled adult children. Your 9 year old qualifies because he is your minor child. The issue of disability does not apply to him for SSDI. If he is still disabled after he turns age 18 and is unable to perform SGA (work), he might qualify on your record.

There is the low income program, SSI, Supplemental Security Income, that pays money to disabled children and disabled adults and people over age 65. What they all have in common is that they have limited amounts of income and limited amounts of resources.

But if your intent is to have him declared disabled at age 9 so that he can still be declared disabled at age 18, it won't work. The criteria for children is different than the criteria for adults. All SSI children get redetermined under adult rules when they turn 18. It is totally possible for a 17 year old to qualify for ADHD, but not qualify for ADHD as soon as the child turns 18.

And you were obviously able to perform enough work to be insured for SSDI until your condition got worse, so it is doubtful that your parents could have done anything for you to be declared disabled earlier. You may have had problems, but you managed to work anyway.

You can file a claim for your child for SSI now. The amount SSI pays can be as low as $1 or over $750. All income the child receives, like benefits paid on your record, child support, TANF etc. is used in computing how much SSI can be paid to your child. Also, SSI will look at your total income sources as well as the income of your spouse in order to determine if the family has low income. SSI will also look at all of the child's assets, your assets and your spouse's assets (bank accounts, investments, real estate, multiple vehicles, etc.)

Your child's medical condition may or may not be severe enough for him to even qualify for SSI disability and your family income and resources may or may not be low enough for him to qualify. SSI is a pretty invasive program into your personal life. You have to provide private details and evidence about income, resources and living arrangements of the child. SSI can change the amount of the payment every month, if income changes every month. Many children end up overpaid on SSI because of underreported changes. If you do decide to file for SSI for him, be sure to read everything you can so that you understand it so that your child doesn't turn 18 owing money back to the government.

The best way to get a thorough answer is to file a claim and provide all the information. SSA should first determine if the income is low enough before making a decision about whether or not the child is disabled enough. The computations are complicated as is the disability decision.

With SSI, no payment is made before the month of filing. So if you choose not to apply until some time later, the earlier months won't even be considered.

Rzpc2018

Thank you, your awesome, you cleared up my confusion, btw I didn't intend to slam my parents. And yes I was able to push through and I'm grateful. I was under the impression I could have had ssdi based on there income without going through building my own history and multiple surgeries and the other stroke. Now that I know I will definitely wait. I Was just afraid I would be limiting his options if I waited. And I do think I could have got it at much younger age even though I made it through working. I was and am still pretty messed up. I was just really fortunate I had an employer that was good to me. Thank you for your response and helping out and you may be right he may not meet his criteria but hes struggling and not much we've tried helps so I just want to do everything I can to improve his path.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Thank you, your awesome, you cleared up my confusion, btw I didn't intend to slam my parents. And yes I was able to push through and I'm grateful. I was under the impression I could have had ssdi based on there income without going through building my own history and multiple surgeries and the other stroke. Now that I know I will definitely wait. I Was just afraid I would be limiting his options if I waited. And I do think I could have got it at much younger age even though I made it through working. I was and am still pretty messed up. I was just really fortunate I had an employer that was good to me. Thank you for your response and helping out and you may be right he may not meet his criteria but hes struggling and not much we've tried helps so I just want to do everything I can to improve his path.
You say he's struggling -- do you mean with school? Does he have an IDP/IEP? Is he in treatment? How would getting more $$ help him in his struggles?

Rzpc2018

You say he's struggling -- do you mean with school? Does he have an IDP/IEP? Is he in treatment? How would getting more $$ help him in his struggles?
Yea he does an IEP, he is in treatment he doesnt respond to medication and by struggle I mean it's a train wreck. It wasnt the money right now that I was interested in I was just mistaken on the benefits of applying now. Money won't help anything right now, but I had a misguided thought doing it now and God forbid things dont improve it would help him. I Was wrong

Rzpc2018

Well the one thing money would help is traveling for better care. Not alot of quality options here. But aside from that nothing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">