• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I’m pretty sure all my credit cards are breaking the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilman93

It took me to today to realize that my credit card bank was using a third-party call Center to gather information. If I’m not mistaken it’s illegal for a third-party call Center to ask you for information from a bank unless the bank gave them your information which I think would be illegal to but basically all the big credit cards do this who should I talk to?

Just Blue

It took me to today to realize that my credit card bank was using a third-party call Center to gather information. If I’m not mistaken it’s illegal for a third-party call Center to ask you for information from a bank unless the bank gave them your information which I think would be illegal to but basically all the big credit cards do this who should I talk to?
What state?

PayrollHRGuy

What law do you think is being violated?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There is no federal law that prohibits a bank from contracting with a another company to run marketing campaigns or whatever and ask you for information. Whether there is a state law that might prohibit that depends on the state, but to my knowledge no state has such a law.

Federal law does require that financial institutions have a privacy policy and that it make that policy available to customers. So what information about you that the bank may provide to the call center company it hires will be determined by that privacy policy.

adjusterjack

Have you ever actually read your credit card contracts?

Devilman93

There is no federal law that prohibits a bank from contracting with a another company to run marketing campaigns or whatever and ask you for information. Whether there is a state law that might prohibit that depends on the state, but to my knowledge no state has such a law.

Federal law does require that financial institutions have a privacy policy and that it make that policy available to customers. So what information about you that the bank may provide to the call center company it hires will be determined by that privacy policy.
The bank can share it but a 3rd party non bank owned business cannot by law ask for your ssn. That law passed in 2012

Devilman93

Actually it is against the law to ask for a ssn

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Actually it is against the law to ask for a ssn
No, it is not. The federal Privacy Act restricts the circumstances in which the government may require you to provide your SSN, but there is no federal law that prohibits private persons and businesses from requesting it. With private parties you always have the option to decline to provide it. Sure the business may decide not to do business with you if you don't provide it, but there is nothing illegal about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">