• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I’m pretty sure all my credit cards are breaking the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilman93

You don’t seem to understand that laws are limits on behavior and that banks and businesses cannot just do whatever they want, it must fall under the law. I could care less about internal protocols. The law applies to them all. You don’t seem to grasp that concept.
(5) Causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person in telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number.

Devilman93

So you have not suffered any losses from a call center and are not getting collection calls? If a collector violates the FDCPA you are entitled to the greater of up to $1,000 in statutory damages for each violation or your actual damages, plus attorney's fees. If these are not calls by collectors then under state law tort law you'd be entitled to just whatever your actual damages are assuming you can prove negligence.

You seem to be assuming that all banks operate the same way. They do not. They don't all use outside call centers and when they do not all those third party call centers operate the same way. It is not the case that all of them will tell you that they are bank employees rather than agents for the bank, for example.

Feel free to complain to the CFPB and FTC about your complaints about how you think banks utilize call centers. But I'm not seeing any basis for a class action here from what you've described so far.
The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.

adjusterjack

I'm calling troll on this one. You are arguing the same points over and over again and not accepting anything that anybody is telling you.

Folks, do not continue feeding this troll. :giggle:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It doesn’t matter how banks or call centers operate. The law is the way they are required to behave and .
Of course the details of how they operate matter. Under our legal system they can do whatever they want unless some law prohibits it. There are some limits on what they can do, but apart from those prohibitions they are free to operate as they wish. The law clearly does not prohibit them from using call centers to collect debts and as long as they comply with the FDCPA, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the GLBA, and any applicable state laws they are operating legally.

The collectors have violated fdcpa rules. I
If a collector has violated the FDCPA while collecting a debt from you and you can prove it then file suit in federal court for your actual damages, if you have any, or for statutory damages of up to $1,000 per violation, plus attorneys fees. If you have the proof of it you won't have trouble getting a lawyer experienced in FDCPA cases to take that on for you. Apart from that, you may complain to the CFPB and FTC as those are the two agencies that have had jurisdiction over the FDCPA. If they choose not to do anything about it then there is nothing you can do to force them to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">