• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm trying to help my mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cittai

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've done a lot of research on this problem. In the process of construction of the neighbor's house a subcontractor put in a ditch that crosses four feet into our property. In the process a power line to our boat lift was severed. I have just found out (through research) that my deceased father paid a contractor a considerable amount of money to build the boat lift and a building permit wasn't filed or at least no inspection was done after completion of the job (it was in 1994). What is our liability? I cannot get a straight answer from the county.

C

cittai

Well, penalties for never having a permit for building the boat dock and installing an underground wire (which was to code in 1994). Whose responsible for fixing the wire? And what in the world do I do next if the contractor & neighbor refuse to remove the ditch from the property?

HomeGuru

Re: reply

cittai said:
Well, penalties for never having a permit for building the boat dock and installing an underground wire (which was to code in 1994).

**A: you as the owner are liable for getting the building permit and paying the fees and pemalties. It does not matter if the wiring was installed to code in 1994 because it must conform to the current electrical code (NEC) at the time of building permit application.

Whose responsible for fixing the wire?

**A: the idiots that damaged it of course.
And what in the world do I do next if the contractor & neighbor refuse to remove the ditch from the property?
**A: hire an attorney and sue the son's of ditches.

C

cittai

Thank you for your advice and humor! much appreciated. . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">