• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm trying to return something after a year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erinspice

Hi, I purchased an item online September 2005 for about $100. The item was a set of new piano keys for my piano. These are standard sized and will fit any piano, so the seller can just sell them again. I couldn't afford to pay to have them installed at that time. In June of 2006, 9 months later, I finally was able to afford to have them installed, so I had a piano repair guy out to my house. He told me that I should have my keys replaced with ivory, not the plastic ones I'd bought online. I returned the keytops to the place online, but forgot to include the receipt. A couple of weeks ago, I found the receipt and realized what I'd done. I looked back in my credit card statements, and sure enough, they'd never refunded my money. I emailed the place back and asked them if I could send in the receipt and get my refund, and they said sure. He even gave me his home address. He said he'd be able to process the refund quicker that way.

Now he says that he can't refund my money because nobody remembers receiving the package. I sent both the item and the receipt with delivery confirmation and I still have the delivery confirmation slips proving that the items were delivered. What can I do?

I'm in Alabama and he's in Tennessee.

Edited to add his return policy from his website. This is all it says about refunds - no time limit listed.
Returns for refund must include EVERY part sent in original condition.
Partial packets returned must be negotiated by our decision which is final-- Send E-Mail.
Credit Card orders will be refunded to the credit card account, which is required by law.

moburkes

If the original place would have no problem reselling the item, why didn't you just resell it yourself?

Delivery confirmation only means that the post office delivered the package "somewhere". It doesn't mean that it was delivered to the right address.

I've had packages delivered to my house that didn't belong to me. These packages also showed proof of "delivery". Yep, they certainly were delivered-but to the wrong place.

It is probably too late to dispute the charge with your credit card company.

mhallgren

I would try with your credit card company, all they can say is no, but be persistent as I believe you have a maximum of 6 months for a dispute for most cards. The credit card company will take your delivery confirmation as proof of return, usually the forms can be had online and faxed in for faster service. Good Luck !

ps thanks again for the clarification to my thread, I thought I made it clear they were real when they left my home:)

xylene

You've made alot of careless mistakes.

And trying to get sympathy for your wasted 100 bucks is the biggest one of all...

Ivory keys. Ha! :mad:

I forgot this... I forgot that... year later... your stuck for 100 bucks.

Sloppy job. You are the poster child for why all trade in ivory, even so called antiques should be banned.

I don't care what the piano man says.

erinspice

You've made alot of careless mistakes.

And trying to get sympathy for your wasted 100 bucks is the biggest one of all...

Ivory keys. Ha! :mad:

I forgot this... I forgot that... year later... your stuck for 100 bucks.

Sloppy job. You are the poster child for why all trade in ivory, even so called antiques should be banned.

I don't care what the piano man says.
I already admitted I did a bunch of dumb things. I'm not trying to get sympathy, I'm trying to find out my options and whether or not I should bother pursuing this. Buying and selling ivory already located in the country is not illegal. I'm just trying to preserve the original state of my piano, which I have a right to do.

Troll.

xylene

Buying and selling ivory already located in the country is not illegal. I'm just trying to preserve the original state of my piano, which I have a right to do.
Commerce in ivory already in the US, within the US is not currently illegal. It is however immoral. Which leaves me with negligible sympathy for you and the 100 dollars you wasted. If you can afford ivory keys you can afford to eat your mistake. Thats the opinion.

Legal reality:
Even if you were dirt poor the person who sold you those plastic keys is not responsible for your mistakes and your failure to follow their return policy.

erinspice

Moburkes, it's extremely presumptuous of you to assume you know why I called xylene a troll. Her being a troll has nothing to do with my like or dislike of her post. She is a troll because she posted irrelevent, repetitive, and inflamatory material that added absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand. Her opinion on the ivory trade is irrelevant to the legality of my situation. Her comments about the dumb things I did were repetitive, as I had already admitted to those things, and her comments about my supposed fishing for sympathy were simply an attempt to make me look bad.

So lets recap. She provided absolutely no help and made sarcastic and false statements in order to start a fight. Yep, troll. A poster's status as a troll has nothing to do with the number of posts said poster has and nothing to do with the post's reception by its target.

Xylene, thanks for your opinion, but you have already proven to me that your opinion is of no value to me.

moburkes

FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding.

Did you miss this part? Maybe I should add it back to my signature.

erinspice

FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding.
This has what to do with my post? For having interests in law, you people really pay very little attention to detail. I never asked for or insinuated that this site was in anyway to blame for xylene's horrible behavior. My comments were in regards to xylene's immature, low-class behavior, not any duty that this site may or may not have to prevent it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">