• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration marriage questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have some serious questions for you. If anyone can answer as soon as possible that would be great. They are about me getting married to a non american. Her sister is considering marrying my friend just so she can become a US citzen and I was wondering the risks involved with that. This is based out of Missouri.

I appreciate any help.

1. How much does it cost to file for a green card once we are married?
2. How long will it take for her to get one once we are married?
3. Do we have to live in the same household?
4. Will she be able to legallly work? If so how long after we are married?
5. Will they do any kind of interview, phone calls, or in home visits?
6. How long after we are married can she file for a green card?
7. Is there any qualifications or anything I should know about?

ImmigAttyLana

First, whatever your future sister-in-law may or may not do, please realize that it is only possible to obtain permanent residence on the basis of a VALID BONA FIDE marriage to a US citizen. A marriage solely for the purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit will not qualify. Secondly, it is only possible for one to obtain permanent residence in the US for one who is in a VALID marriage to a US citizen AND someone who entered the US lawfully. Anyone who entered the US illegally will not be able to get this benefit even if the marriage is valid and bona fide.

1. How much does it cost to file for a green card once we are married?
IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHEN THE PETITION IS FILED AS THE FEES WILL BE GOING UP IN THE NEXT MONTH OR SO. ADDITIONALLY, IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU WILL FILE ON YOUR OWN AND WILL ONLY NEED TO PAY THE USCIS FILING FEES OR IF YOU WILL WORK WITH AN IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS WHOSE FEES WILL NEED TO BE PAID AS WELL.
2. How long will it take for her to get one once we are married?
THIS DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE AS DIFFERENT OFFICES OF THE USCIS HAVE DIFFERENT PROCESSING TIMES. ON AVERAGE, IT IS BETWEEN 4-12 MONTHS.
3. Do we have to live in the same household?
IT HAS TO BE A VALID, BONA FIDE MARRIAGE, AS NOTED ABOVE. THIS TYPICALLY MEANS THAT THE SPOUSES MUST RESIDE WITH ONE ANOTHER. IN SOME CASES, PEOPLE DO LIVE APART BECAUSE OF SCHOOL, WORK,E TC. AND THIS IS FINE AS LONG AS THEY CAN OTHERWISE DOCUMENT (MORE BURDEN IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES) THE BONA FIDE NATURE OF THE MARRIAGE.
4. Will she be able to legallly work? If so how long after we are married?
IF SHE IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE US BY VIRTUE OF HAVING ENTERED THE US LAWFULLY, SHE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION, WHICH SHE WILL GET ABOUT 90 DAYS AFTER FILING FOR THIS DOCUMENT.
5. Will they do any kind of interview, phone calls, or in home visits?
YES, THERE WILL BE AN INTERVIEW WITH A USCIS OFFICER TO ASSESS THE BONA FIDE NATURE OF THE MARRIAGE.
6. How long after we are married can she file for a green card?
IMMEDIATELY.
7. Is there any qualifications or anything I should know about?
IT HAS TO BE A BONA FIDE MARRIAGE AND YOU AS THE PETITIONER EITHER MUST BE ABLE TO SHOW SUFFICIENT INCOME FOR AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT PURPOSES OF OBTAIN A CO-SPONSOR TO SIGN THIS DOCUMENT ON BEHALF OF THE SPOUSE WHO WILL BE IMMIGRATING.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

evcalyptos

It is simple enough to google marriage fraud immigration to get the following sorts of results.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01948.htm
"...provides a penalty of five years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine for any "individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws."

http://tinyurl.com/2b4vs8
"Isaac, also known as “Jessie Isaacs,” 51, of 2421 West Pratt Blvd., Apt. 122, Chicago, was charged with racketeering, five counts of aiding and abetting marriage fraud and 29 counts related to visa or immigration document fraud. The indictment also seeks forfeiture of the alleged racketeering proceeds, totaling at least $402,000, from Isaac"

"“The INS warns those who choose to commit such immigration fraud that we are using every appropriate statute to seek the stiffest penalties possible."

"The citizen was told that she would not have to live with the foreign national and would receive a monthly fee, along with additional money when it came time to be interviewed by the INS. At the same time, Isaac advised the foreign national to add the shamwife’s name to utility accounts and to open a joint checking account."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">