• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

immigration question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I am a US green card holder and will be marrying a Canadian citizen. I am looking into moving to Canada after the wedding (August 2008). I really do not want to lose my status in the US. What are my options? Can he file for me in Canada before I get my US citizenship? By the way, I just received my green card about 18months ago. Please help!!!!



Senior Member
If you are permanently moving to Canada, you WILL lose your US permanent resident status because you cannot live abroad and still maintain this status. By definition, being a US permanent resident means that you intent to reside in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential