• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

immigration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malonesangg

since I am a US citizen, is it possible to get a signed statement from immigration stating I am US citizen because I don't have any proof to show that I am a citizen

LdiJ

since I am a US citizen, is it possible to get a signed statement from immigration stating I am US citizen because I don't have any proof to show that I am a citizen
You don't have a birth certificate? If you do, then the new "Real ID" that is a combination of ID and driver's license (or just an ID if someone doesn't drive) verifies that someone is a citizen. A passport would do so as well.

quincy

Where are you currently, Malonesangg (what state or country)? I am not seeing where immigration comes in.

FlyingRon

I take it you were born a US citizen? If so the root proof is usually a birth certificate, but if you were born to US parents abroad, there will be other documentation (you can pursue this from the state department if this is the case). As others pointed out, you can then use whatever documentation you have above to get a US passport, which is pretty good document for most people to prove citizenship.

If you were naturalized, then your proof is the certificate of naturalization. Again, with that you can get a US passport.

Mass_Shyster

If you were born in the US, a birth certificate is the easiest. If you naturalized, or derived citizenship, a passport is the easiest and least expensive option. You can also get a certificate of naturalization (if you naturalized) or a certificate of citizenship if you derived citizenship. I believe those are $600 options.

Also see 22 U.S.C 270 "A passport, during its period of validity (if such period is the maximum period authorized by law), issued by the Secretary of State to a citizen of the United States shall have the same force and effect as proof of United States citizenship as certificates of naturalization or of citizenship issued by the Attorney General or by a court having naturalization jurisdiction."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">