• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impaired driving charge, can I visit Canada?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
I have an impaired driving charge from September 2014. The actual offense occured in December 2009, but it took forever to work its way through court (lost jury trial), had to appeal to district court and received the lesser charge.

I have two questions:
  • does Canada count impaired driving as a DUI?
  • To enter Canada, is it 10 years from the date of the offense, or from when I was actually charged in district court?
Thank you very much in advance!


Senior Member
Both of your questions deal with Canadian law. You will likely need to find a Canadian law forum.
The questions posed here are ones that are frequently asked.

Here is a link to some of the restrictions on travel to Canada due to a criminal record in the US:

You can contact the border crossing agents at the US-Canadian border where you intend to enter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential