• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Implications of cashing a check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eduardo138

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am the tenant of a retail shop location and 18 months ago, my landlord and I agree for me to pay a lower rent that what is stipulated on the contract (since we were already feeling the pains of the economy and I was loosing money every month). It was either this, or I close the shop and the landlord was going to have a real hard time finding someone that would pay even close to what I was paying.

Now I have found someone to take over the lease, and the landlord wants to either keep all the security deposit or charge me for this money. We never made an ammendment in writing for the new amount$ of the lease, but the landlord has continuously cash all my checks without hesitation and has never send me a letter stating that I need to pay him the initial full amount. By cashing the checks, is the landlord admiting the new amount as an agreeable amount as we did 18 months ago? Does this stand in court as a claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">