• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Implied Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eva@dj

NJ - hello, am I allowed to disclose what I invoiced a customer if there is no agreement / contract? A third party (the company our customer is billing) is asking to see or confirm what we invoiced our customer / their vendor. The third party believes they are given incorrect info and would like to confirm what we billed to their vendor. I am not sure if we have an implied agreement or this is allowed.

Thanks.

PayrollHRGuy

Unless there is a contract saying otherwise invoices and who you may or may not have billed is not protected information.

LdiJ

Thank you....just to confirm, the amount invoiced is also not protected correct?
It is not protected information but I guarantee that if you disclose that information to your customer's customer that you will never do business with your customer again. That is one of those things that you simply do NOT do in business. You would be completely undermining your customer by doing that.

Litigator22

NJ - hello, am I allowed to disclose what I invoiced a customer if there is no agreement / contract? A third party (the company our customer is billing) is asking to see or confirm what we invoiced our customer / their vendor. The third party believes they are given incorrect info and would like to confirm what we billed to their vendor. I am not sure if we have an implied agreement or this is allowed.

Thanks.
What the heck difference does it make whether or not there is non-disclosure or vendor confidentiality agreement in place - express or implied?!

Protected, confidential or whatever your company is under no obligation to comply with the request and certainly not without the consent of the customer.

My question is why couldn't you figure it out yourself? Its not quantum mechanics!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Thanks.
You did not say what kind of business you are in, and that matters. While for most types of business this information is not legally protected, there are a few types of business where it certainly could be. Even if there is no law that would restrict you from disclosing it, the far better business practice is to tell the person asking for it that you will not disclose the information without the express written consent of your client. The client's customer can then ask your client for that consent. If the client refuses to give that customer the consent, well, that would likely tell the customer that the client wasn't truthful. But at least in that situation you aren't involved and aren't the bad guy to your client.

quincy

Thanks.
What is your business?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">