• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Important question on Immigration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilcrys

this is a question from the state of michigan, but i think really seems to be a federal. My daughter is doing a report on immigration and it's laws an she asked me some questions. What happens if the date to get papers has passed? Can something be done to protect the now illegal alien? what happens to who the illegal may be working for if they were unaware of this coming? Can they be protected as well? I told my daughter that if it were me i would protect myself before the illegal but i guess if i was in the situation the feelings could be different. Can you help me to help her she is very curious about what happens to people and with the report she is now as well concerned.

Thank you
lilcrys

LegalBeagle

lilcrys said:
this is a question from the state of michigan, but i think really seems to be a federal. My daughter is doing a report on immigration and it's laws an she asked me some questions.

1. What happens if the date to get papers has passed?
2. Can something be done to protect the now illegal alien?
3. what happens to who the illegal may be working for if they were unaware of this coming?
4. Can they be protected as well?

I told my daughter that if it were me i would protect myself before the illegal but i guess if i was in the situation the feelings could be different. Can you help me to help her she is very curious about what happens to people and with the report she is now as well concerned.
Thank you
lilcrys
1. It depends on the visa.. some visa's will automatically make an illegal alien, legal, the moment you file it. Work visa's however are only valid when within the visa's date.
2. Protect them how? Again, it depends on the visa. If you are talking about work visa's then the moment the visa expires, they are not authorized to work. It is up to them to ensure it stays current.
3. If an employer does not check, and one of their staff becomes illegal, then they are in trouble. It is up to the employer to check all papers when they hire someone and be aware of all expiry dates.
4. Protected? no.. it is up to them to check and to stop the alien from work for them if their visa has expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">