• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper backing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was backing out of a Walmart parking spot and as I was backing out another car backed out and hit me.... the insurance said I'm at fault for improper backing! What does this mean?! They have video that I haven't seen yet but I wasn't even able to back up all the way before he hit me so how can this be improper backing and what does improper backing mean ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was backing out of a Walmart parking spot and as I was backing out another car backed out and hit me.... the insurance said I'm at fault for improper backing! What does this mean?! They have video that I haven't seen yet but I wasn't even able to back up all the way before he hit me so how can this be improper backing and what does improper backing mean ?
Whose insurance company says that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My insurance isn't even involved since I dont have full coverage
That doesn't make sense. If the other party is claiming that you caused damage, you turn it over to your insurance. In the end, you will both likely found to be equally at fault.

That doesn't make sense. If the other party is claiming that you caused damage, you turn it over to your insurance. In the end, you will both likely found to be equally at fault.
He backed into me.... I called his insurance and filed a claim and his insurance is claiming I'm at fault for improper backing.

PayrollHRGuy

You were both backing out. As Zigner said you are likely both at fault.

You need to notify your carrier because if they are saying it was your fault they will make a claim against you.

adjusterjack

He backed into me.... I called his insurance and filed a claim and his insurance is claiming I'm at fault for improper backing.
That's their right and obligation to protect their insured.

You are welcome to sue the other driver for your damage.

If the other driver seeks repair costs from you, make sure you notify your own insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">