• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Credit to my Account..Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

Two weeks ago I placed an online order through Dell's website, for around $1800.00. On Monday I called Dell to inform them that the laptop doesn't meet my needs and I may return it and would like a RMA number just in case. They provided me with a RMA number and a label I could print via e-mail to return the notebook. The very next day I had a credit post to my checking account for the laptop and the notebook wasn't even mailed off or received by them!

I called on Wednesday to inform them that I recevied a credit when I shouldn't have since I haven't mailed the notebook, I may even keep the notebook I just wanted the RMA incase. They are unable to see the credit and cannot reverse it. So now I have two options the way I see it:

1. Mail the notebook in (if I no longer want it) and receive an additional credit
2. Keep the notebook (if I decide I want it afterall) and then I still have the funds in my account that aren't mine.

My concern is that a week, two weeks, a month etc goes by and they just dip into my account and take money out. Can they do that?

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes if the money is not legally yours and was put there by mistake. Your best bet is to forget the money is there until the situation is corrected.

mark1210

I agree, no question the money isn't mine. I may have worded my question poorly. Is there a statute of limitations or some other expiration law that protects me? I don't want to worry about someone taking money out of my account 6 months or a year from now. I can't get Dell to undo the transaction. Chase (my credit card company) can't dispute credits, only improper charges.

moburkes

I agree, no question the money isn't mine. I may have worded my question poorly. Is there a statute of limitations or some other expiration law that protects me? I don't want to worry about someone taking money out of my account 6 months or a year from now. I can't get Dell to undo the transaction. Chase (my credit card company) can't dispute credits, only improper charges.
Nothing protects you from this mistake. You will not benefit from it.

mark1210

Thanks moburkes.

I don't want to benefit from it, I want to give it back to Dell. Is anyone aware of how I can force them to undo this credit? I don't want to worry about it down the road, should I change banks, or anything. I don't like anything being held over me. I don't want the $$$, I want Dell to take it back and acknowledge they screwed up.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them, and if so, how did you get it corrected?

moburkes

Thanks moburkes.

I don't want to benefit from it, I want to give it back to Dell. Is anyone aware of how I can force them to undo this credit? I don't want to worry about it down the road, should I change banks, or anything. I don't like anything being held over me. I don't want the $$$, I want Dell to take it back and acknowledge they screwed up.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them, and if so, how did you get it corrected?
Haev you decided to return the laptop, if so, then it will be accurate. If not, then they will, most likely, reverse the charge after, say, 30 days, when they don't receive it back.

PeterN

return the laptop and let them figure out the credits/charges
after everything is settled you can buy a new one

btw: you are sure the credit came from dell right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">