• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in desperate need of advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Lucille Chen

I need advice on what to do about this situation : After moving to Texas my friend(who was not intoxicated)acciedently commited a hit and run at a party. The person that was hit suffered only a minor injury and turned out to be a co-worker and a friend that would not press charges, yet the state wanted to. This took place during the summer of 1997. My friend turned themself in only to find out that there was a warrant out for them in the state of Florida. After my friend was released and found out the severity of the situation they did not return to the police. Until recentley they thought it was due to traffic violations but it turns out it is for forgery and counterfeiting. They have no idea why?! This warrant was posted on 2/97 when my friend was not even living in Florida. This person desperatly wants to straighten out this situation and thier life. How can they do so? How long will it take? How expensive will it be? Please help with any relevent information.
Thank you.


Senior Member
Your friend needs to consult an attorney. What it will cost depends on what needs to be done, how long it will take, and how much the attorney charges.


Hi: I am a retired police officer in Florida. I was a cop for 16 years up until 1999. First of all the "posting" of the warrant does not mean that was when the crime was committed. A crime may be committed, and a warrant not be issued for the offender for several months and sometimes years later depending on the nature of the crime. In Florida a warrant is issued for a person, and the person's name and other information is placed into FCIC, Florida Crime Information Computer. Depending on the severity of the crime, the warrant may also be entered into NCIC or Natioinal Crime Information Computer. If I understand your post, the Texas authorities discovered the warrant. There probably was no extradition to Florida for the warrant,therefore; they let your friend go on it.
Now as for what to do in Florida. NOTHING can change the fact that there is an outstanding warrant for your friend. Warrants are signed by a Judge. You should contact an attorney in the county of where the warrant was issued. Your friend will then make arrangements to turn themself in. They can then be released immediately on bond. If it is a case of mistaken identity then your friend can easily go into court and show that. The case would be dismissed at that point. Bare in mind that Florida Criminal Statutes place a heavy bourdon on Fl. Law Enforcement to establish probable cause that the person committed the crime. In other words, If there is a warrant signed by a Judge, then there must be some type of compelling evidence to show that your friend in fact did commit the crime or someone posing as your friend.

Lucille Chen

thanks for help

hgrego115, I just wanted to say thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential