• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In-Flexible Spending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raytork

I live in Wisconsin, but during 2005 was employed by the New York office of a company. My employment began January 3rd, 2005. On January 1, while riding bike, I was injured. I paid COBRA to my previous employer to cover the hospital and surgery costs, but still had a $500 bill to the hospital, that insurance did not cover.
I apparently mistakenly assumed that I could use flex spending to pay the COBRA, so began paying in February with the expectation of getting reimbursement for the COBRA and hospital payment.
The provider claims that the COBRA payments are not eligible for reimbursement at all and that the hospital cost is not either because I did not start paying in until February 1.
I had thought that the money I was depositing could cover all medical expenses I incurred during the year. It seems to me that at least the $500 should be covered since it is an actual expense not covered by insurance and incurred during the year.

Thanks,

-- Ray

mlane58

A flexible spending account cannot be used to pay premiums on any insurance policy. It can be used to pay for health care costs that are not covered by your plan and for deductibles, co-pays, etc....

If you didn't start paying into the plan until Feb and the bill was incurred in Jan than your employer is right is not reimbursing you.

Beth3

mlane is right on the money. You can't use your Flex acount to pay for insurance premiums and the only expenses that are eligible are for those incurred on or after the date in which you joined the Plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">