• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In need of legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daniel Crawford

I have been involved in the development of an email outreach process that I am now overseeing that I am not sure is legal. As part of the process, we scrape people's names and companies (together with other information) from LinkedIn profiles without their consent. We then enrich this data with email addresses using email matching software. We then send out unsolicited marketing emails to these email addresses. We then sell the emails of people that do not unsubscribe as opt-ins on to our clients who will then send further emails to them.
Should I be worried working on this process? If the company gets sued, am I at risk of being implicated? Does it make any difference if I back out now or continue working on it? I'm self employed, however, I am really working as a senior manager and working on this under the direction of the CEO. The company is very small and registered abroad.
We know that this process is not legal in many countries, however, is it legal if we email customers only in the United States and focus on business contacts only?

quincy

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

I am not sure I completely understand your business model but it appears to have nothing to do with consumer bankruptcy, which is the section of the forum where you placed your thread.

If you are planning to “spam” people’s email addresses with unwanted and unauthorized emails, you need to be aware of the US’s CAN-SPAM Act. Here is a link to a compliance guide for businesses:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">