• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In the childs best interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My husbands mother who lives in Texas, has a 6 year old daughter, the problem we are experiencing is as follows:

The mother insists she is disabled and will not work (has not worked steadily in the past six years) yet, has never received, nor can receive a disability pension. Claimed disability is not work restrictive.

The mother is being evicted from her apartment and has no means to get another apartment.

We earn appx. the median income in Scottsdale which is 60K, and feel that the child would be in a more stable environment, as well as, have quality medical services in our custody.

The mother refuses to consider the possibility of the child living with us because she apparently considers the child to be her ticket to receiving welfare.

Unfortunately, she has abused the welfare system for the past six years and her state of residence has enacted laws that will prohibit further distributions of welfare without more proof of need.

We have no idea of what our legal options are for making sure this child is taken care of in a manner that promotes her health, education, and overall emotional well being.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.



Has she filed for welfare again? If so, and particularly if she has been turned down, she may be more agreeable to placing the child in your care, at least temporarily. You may wish to contact the Welfare department in her county and try to speak with her caseworker. Inform them that you are willing to take the child into your home and provide for her. They may be able to help you "convince" the mother.

Otherwise, you may be put into a position where you have to file for custody in court against the mother. You would have to do this in TX, in the county they are residents.

One other option, have you considered asking BOTH mother and daughter to come stay with you? It may not be the most pleasant option, however, it certainly would remove the child from harm's way...(if they did come live with you, once they are there for 6 months, it would make <b>YOUR</b> county/state the one with jurisdiction, should you need to go to court over custody of the child, AND it would give you first hand "ammo" as to the behaviour of the mother regarding the child)...just a thought.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential