• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In the news...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/23/judge-rules-kan-sperm-donor-owes-child-support/

Other than the obvious, I find this interesting. The Father's attorney's claim is:

‘‘We stand by that contract,’’ Swinnen said. ‘‘The insinuation is offensive, and we are responding vigorously to that. We stand by our story. There was no personal relationship whatsoever between my client and the mother, or the partner of the mother, or the child. Anything the state insinuates is vilifying my client, and I will address it.’’

Is his argument REALLY that the Father shouldn't pay support because there's no relationship between Father and child? Would he make the SAME argument if this was a "traditional" one night stand?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/23/judge-rules-kan-sperm-donor-owes-child-support/

Other than the obvious, I find this interesting. The Father's attorney's claim is:

‘‘We stand by that contract,’’ Swinnen said. ‘‘The insinuation is offensive, and we are responding vigorously to that. We stand by our story. There was no personal relationship whatsoever between my client and the mother, or the partner of the mother, or the child. Anything the state insinuates is vilifying my client, and I will address it.’’

Is his argument REALLY that the Father shouldn't pay support because there's no relationship between Father and child? Would he make the SAME argument if this was a "traditional" one night stand?
This will certainly help the doctor-assisted sperm donations as opposed to the DIY that these folks did. :cool:

Just Blue

After reading the story...I agree with you. Dad can now file for visitation with his daughter. And pay support. Guy is a numbnut. :(

Proserpina

His argument seems to be that he made some sort of contract with the mother/s stating he would have no parental rights or obligations.

I know where Swinnen is going with the argument though. The statute doesn't explicitly say that a physician's involvement is mandatory, therefore his client should not be penalized for deviating from a law which technically doesn't exclude him in the first place.

I think with 25 pence and a bag of chips, he might find someone somewhere to agree.

CJane

His argument seems to be that he made some sort of contract with the mother/s stating he would have no parental rights or obligations.

I know where Swinnen is going with the argument though. The statute doesn't explicitly say that a physician's involvement is mandatory, therefore his client should not be penalized for deviating from a law which technically doesn't exclude him in the first place.

I think with 25 pence and a bag of chips, he might find someone somewhere to agree.
I was looking at the attorney's argument regarding "no relationship". It made me feel like I needed a shower.

single317dad

If this argument actually works, there will be a massive increase in the number of "sperm donors" overnight. Fortunately, Dad doesn't have a chance in Hades, for the same reason we can't sell ourselves into slavery.

You can tell people all you want that you're a fireman; it doesn't make you a fireman.

Proserpina

If this argument actually works, there will be a massive increase in the number of "sperm donors" overnight. Fortunately, Dad doesn't have a chance in Hades, for the same reason we can't sell ourselves into slavery.

You can tell people all you want that you're a fireman; it doesn't make you a fireman.
????

All three parties acknowledged that the intent was for the guy to relinquish all rights and obligations.

A one night stand isn't anywhere near the same thing.

Am I missing something?

Silverplum

And yet, as Mr. Plum pointed out last night during a discussion of this case, one can legally sell one's eggs or sperm, or rent out one's womb.

:cool:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">