• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inadvertent distribution of private information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keystone

Inadvertent Distribution of Private Information

This is my first semester as a part time professor at a local community college. Somewhere in the process of entering my information into a computer, the college's payroll department managed to mix all of my information with a student with the same name as mine. My first paycheck went to this students address with all of my information attached. After several weeks without receiving a pay check I contacted the college and they quickly found the problem and sent out a second check to my address. My concern lays in the fact that now this student has not only the same name as me but now knows my social security number. Should I be concerned about this and if so is there anything I can do or have the college do that will protect me. If this student were to use my information fraudulently is there any legal ramifications I can force upon the college for placing this information in his hands?
(MD)

[Edited by keystone on 11-27-2000 at 08:41 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">