• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inappropriate language

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl. I work in a call center in Fl and several people that sit around me are always using inappropriate language their favorite word is the f word, and talk about other things that should not be discussed in the work place. I have let them know that I don't care for the language and it has not helped, I have talked to my manager about it and they have been given verbal warnings about their language. Other people have also complained about the language they use. It has started to effect my work habits. We are all females but I am the only one that is a different race. Do I have any rights or do I just need to suck it up or find another job? Thank you for any adviceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl. I work in a call center in Fl and several people that sit around me are always using inappropriate language their favorite word is the f word, and talk about other things that should not be discussed in the work place. I have let them know that I don't care for the language and it has not helped, I have talked to my manager about it and they have been given verbal warnings about their language. Other people have also complained about the language they use. It has started to effect my work habits. We are all females but I am the only one that is a different race. Do I have any rights or do I just need to suck it up or find another job? Thank you for any adviceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does your race and gender have to do with their "misuse" of the English language? Would you view their behaviour any different if they were using cuss words in another language and you didn't understand it?

commentator

Sorry, friend, but their workplace behavior, unless they are actually cursing you, or assaulting you physically isn't really a reason to complain any more than you have already done so.

I don't quite understand how it can upset you so that it is beginning to affect your work habits. If they are talking among themselves, not screaming insults at you specifically, can't you tune it out or let it roll of to some extent?

It is causing you to do bad work, upsetting you to the point you are unable to work? This is not much of an excuse. Do you sit in pods, could you request to be moved to another work area? Be sure to document the occasions when you have complained both to your co-workers and to your supervisor.

If your work performance begins to decline, regardless of the reason, and you are continuously complaining to your supervisor about the work atmosphere, it may end up with you being the one who is perceived as the problem and told to leave. And no, this will probably not be considered discrimination by EEOC standards, or any kind of wrongful termination. I would be looking for a new job, and in the meantime, try to set a personal standard of dignity and quiet friendly reserve that perhaps some of your co workers will appreciate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have lots of rights in the workplace but one right you do not have is to dictate what kind of language your co-workers use.

ariastar

Freedom of speech. Their language isn't directed at you. You have no right to dictate how they talk among themselves. If you don't like it, you can look for another job. Or you can be glad you have a job right now and suck it up.

If you're hoping someone will say, "Oh, you poor minority-woman, let us coddle you," you're out of your cotton-picking mind. Don't abuse the race card.

mlane58

Freedom of speech. Their language isn't directed at you. You have no right to dictate how they talk among themselves. If you don't like it, you can look for another job. Or you can be glad you have a job right now and suck it up.

If you're hoping someone will say, "Oh, you poor minority-woman, let us coddle you," you're out of your cotton-picking mind. Don't abuse the race card.
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. Freedom of speech only deals with the government trying to supress your speech, not an employer or co-worker. Your response is also offensive with your little reference
you're out of your cotton-picking mind
It wasn't neccessary.

pattytx

how can that get you fired? is there a clause in the company a person works for that states you will be fired for this??
You don't understand. Under the "at will employment" concept, an employee can be fired at any time for any reason that does not violated a specific law or public policy. Since there is no law that would prohibit the employer from firing an employee for this reason, it would be a legal termination.

Company policies are not laws. And company policies cannot possibly address every single possible situation. I doubt most company policies say that you can be fired if you hit your boss over the head with a baseball bat. But you can certainly see that this would be a perfect reason to terminate an employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">