• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inappropriate statements fromanager or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LONDONDERRY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I'm employed in a small high-tech company (15 people) for the last 20 months. In general I like the company, my manager is okay, he's been with the company for years and is new in managing people, which in my opinion could use some training in dealing with people. For example, on more than one occasion, he commented that I have a leaning disabilities, I'm dyslexic, and I have metal disabilities. Each time he mentions this besides getting angry, I keep my mouth shut, tell no one and avoid him as much as possible. However, now he's mentioning this to me in front of co-workers, which is humiliating and every time I just want to storm off.

In another occasion, I was forced to watch a clip from the animation movie Zootopia comparing my learning disability to the clip. No where in my 25 year career have I've been treated like this even by some terrible managers. I know in general a manager can say just about anything and treat you like crap if they want,.

So my question is should I speak to him about his behavior or talk to his manager/ HR or just grin & bear it and look for a new job? Lastly, I've never been tested for any type of learning disability, because no one( family, spouse, work) has ever commented on this.

Thank you

quincy

I'm employed in a small high-tech company (15 people) for the last 20 months. In general I like the company, my manager is okay, he's been with the company for years and is new in managing people, which in my opinion could use some training in dealing with people. For example, on more than one occasion, he commented that I have a leaning disabilities, I'm dyslexic, and I have metal disabilities. Each time he mentions this besides getting angry, I keep my mouth shut, tell no one and avoid him as much as possible. However, now he's mentioning this to me in front of co-workers, which is humiliating and every time I just want to storm off.

In another occasion, I was forced to watch a clip from the animation movie Zootopia comparing my learning disability to the clip. No where in my 25 year career have I've been treated like this even by some terrible managers. I know in general a manager can say just about anything and treat you like crap if they want,.

So my question is should I speak to him about his behavior or talk to his manager/ HR or just grin & bear it and look for a new job? Lastly, I've never been tested for any type of learning disability, because no one( family, spouse, work) has ever commented on this.

Thank you
You need to speak to him first. He cannot address the problem if he does not realize it is a problem.

HRZ

IF you have even a modest handicap and the employer is 15 or more...it may be important to discuss your modest handicap and ways one might address it ....and NOT a general criticism of his management style or insensitivity as you see it . He needs to know you have a handicap....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
IF you have even a modest handicap and the employer is 15 or more...it may be important to discuss your modest handicap and ways one might address it ....and NOT a general criticism of his management style or insensitivity as you see it . He needs to know you have a handicap....
Maybe you ought to get a bit more sleep. The OP doesn't claim to have a disability.

quincy

... Lastly, I've never been tested for any type of learning disability, because no one( family, spouse, work) has ever commented on this ...
LONDONDERRY said he has never been tested for any type of learning disability and no one has ever commented on it.

quincy

Not that I'm aware of; I've never been tested by a professional for any learning disability. why?
It wouldn't matter if you had been tested or if you have a learning disability, except in the possible legal actions available to explore or pursue. The manager's comments should never have been made to or in front of others, whether true or false.

If false unprivileged comments are communicated about a worker to another or others in the workplace and these false comments affect how others treat the worker (shunning, ridicule, distrust, etc), the false comments can form the basis of a defamation claim. The different way you are viewed by your coworkers and the humiliation you suffered as a result of the falsehoods are damages to your reputation that are potentially compensable in a lawsuit.

I believe the best way to address the matter is through a private meeting with the manager, however, and not through a legal action. You said the manager is new to managing and he might be fumbling a bit in his role. He might not be aware that statements of the sort he is making are ill-advised and harmful, bordering on illegal.

By addressing him privately, you allow him the opportunity to apologize and retract his previous comments. Far better than a costly lawsuit that publicizes to a wider audience the comments that were made. And, with any lawsuit, there is never a guarantee a plaintiff will be successful or, if successful, will be compensated enough to make the action one that was worth pursuing. In addition, lawsuits against employers can result in employment issues in the future.

A lot to consider. But I do think it is smart to speak privately with your manager before any other action is considered or taken. Then, depending on how the private meeting goes, move on up to HR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">