• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inappropriate statements fromanager or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

It could be. But then so could many insults. One of the worst and yet very common examples is the MF phrase but I have never heard of a court the use of that phrase to be guilty of defamation.
What LONDONDERRY described last year could have been considered defamation. And the manager's comments were affecting LONDONDERRY's reputation among coworkers in a demonstrable way.

That said, the situation at his workplace seems to have improved a bit since last June - although there is obviously room for more improvement.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As far as we know at the moment, the comments have only been made directly to the OP. That's not defamation or discrimination no matter how you cut it.

quincy

As far as we know at the moment, the comments have only been made directly to the OP. That's not defamation or discrimination no matter how you cut it.
Last year they were made in front of coworkers. I agree that it appears the comments are just made to him alone now - at least LONDONDERRY has not indicated otherwise.

LONDONDERRY1

Greetings
Please excuse, been a long time and I forgot my p/w so I re-registered with same user name except a number 1 after it.
Update. Still at the same company, still have the same manager and still the same drama "my learning disability"
So, last week I had lunch with the facility GM, for Q&A on company technology, towards the end of the lunch it was mentioned to me
"so I need to be critical with you now, as we get older, processing and learning new information takes longer."
The GM then goes one and says as I'm getting older (BTW 53yrs old) I am experience this, just he does (BTW he's 59) and that I have a learning disability.
Few things I've noticed:
1. Obviously my manager has told others I have a learning disability, dyslexia, and probably more (none I've ever been tested for)
2. I wasn't attending staff meeting, until a co-worker said to me " I don't understand why you're not going to these meetings, we are talking about some designs you where working on" I asked my manager, why then all of a sudden I going to them.
3. my roles and responsibilities are slowly changing from engineering to errand running with minimal low risk tasks.
4. I was at a meeting and there was a engineering problem and I asked if its something I could help with the response back from my manager was NOOOO!!! followed by laughter.
Essentially, after 4 years I'm fed up with this criticism, hostile environment and I'm looking for a new position. But I have a few questions:
1. Should I contact HR over this or should I wait until the day I leave?
2. Can I contact Massachusetts EECO and file a complaint after I leave?
3. Does this and other issues I've mentioned in my previous threads rise to discrimination?

Regards
Londonderry

quincy

Greetings
Please excuse, been a long time and I forgot my p/w so I re-registered with same user name except a number 1 after it.
Update. Still at the same company, still have the same manager and still the same drama "my learning disability"
So, last week I had lunch with the facility GM, for Q&A on company technology, towards the end of the lunch it was mentioned to me
"so I need to be critical with you now, as we get older, processing and learning new information takes longer."
The GM then goes one and says as I'm getting older (BTW 53yrs old) I am experience this, just he does (BTW he's 59) and that I have a learning disability.
Few things I've noticed:
1. Obviously my manager has told others I have a learning disability, dyslexia, and probably more (none I've ever been tested for)
2. I wasn't attending staff meeting, until a co-worker said to me " I don't understand why you're not going to these meetings, we are talking about some designs you where working on" I asked my manager, why then all of a sudden I going to them.
3. my roles and responsibilities are slowly changing from engineering to errand running with minimal low risk tasks.
4. I was at a meeting and there was a engineering problem and I asked if its something I could help with the response back from my manager was NOOOO!!! followed by laughter.
Essentially, after 4 years I'm fed up with this criticism, hostile environment and I'm looking for a new position. But I have a few questions:
1. Should I contact HR over this or should I wait until the day I leave?
2. Can I contact Massachusetts EECO and file a complaint after I leave?
3. Does this and other issues I've mentioned in my previous threads rise to discrimination?

Regards
Londonderry
Welcome back, LONDONDERRY.

Yes. You should speak to HR and bring the comments stated or implied about you to HR’s attention.

Because there is apparently a widespread perception of you as having some sort of disability and this appears to be affecting your advancement in the workplace, you might want to have a medical examination at this point. Maybe your coworkers are seeing something that you are missing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You know, Londonderry, I have a co-worker who very, very obviously has OCD. She herself has never mentioned it and I have no idea if she's ever been diagnosed with it. But it is clear as day to those of us who work with her and there's even been some comment about it, mostly in her defense when she's annoying the hell out of us: "She can't help it; it's the OCD talking." But quite honestly, the fact that you have never been diagnosed does not mean that it doesn't exist; it truly can't hurt either way to get checked. Quite a lot of us who were born in the 50's and 60's were never diagnosed; diagnosing learning disabilities was in its infancy then. I am 100% certain that my brother is on the autism spectrum but he's never been diagnosed with it either; he'll be 57 this spring.Another brother self-diagnosed himself with dyslexia that was never caught in school but he was able to read about it and say, hey, that's what happens to me - he'll be 56. If it turns out that you do have a learning disability you may be able to get some help with it; if you don't, you'll be able to tell your manager outright.

But after this long I'd be concerned about what he's seeing in your work and/or behavior that is leading him to this conclusion.

quincy

Thanks. I will think about going to HR. Concerns are retaliation from manager and GM which will almost happen
It is certainly up to you what to do but if you have spoken to the manager and GM about this before and they are continuing to comment on your abilities/perceived disability, you will need to bring this to the attention of HR.

I also again suggest you speak with your personal physician about this.

LONDONDERRY1

Thanks for the kind advice.
One question based on the responses back. If i get a test to determine a learning disability. And it proves true then should inform my company?
If it a test proves false then should i mention this and bring the test results?
Personay i believe once someone has a prejudice against you its near impossible to change

Thanks again

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's find out for sure if you do have one before we start deciding on future actions.

Just Blue

Thanks for the kind advice.
One question based on the responses back. If i get a test to determine a learning disability. And it proves true then should inform my company?
If it a test proves false then should i mention this and bring the test results?
Personay i believe once someone has a prejudice against you its near impossible to change

Thanks again
https://www.webmd.com/children/understanding-dyslexia-basics

Does any of ^ apply to you?

LONDONDERRY1

I would have to say no.

Not the best typer but I do proof read all My emails
When I was younger my mother used to tell me I was hyperactive and some of my teachers used to say I used to day dream a little bit

Just Blue

I would have to say no.

Not the best typer but I do proof read all My emails
When I was younger my mother used to tell me I was hyperactive and some of my teachers used to say I used to day dream a little bit
lol...Most any child with an ounce of imagination "day dreams" a bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">