• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incentive stock options & employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Th3redbar00n

in Virginia. I’ve been at my company for a few years and have been thinking about buying the shares that has vested through my incentive stock option. It is a funny environment and I don’t know how it will be perceived. My brain went to a weird scenario and I don’t know where to find an answer.

say I write my company a check for my vested shares and they just don’t like it. Can they fire me after me asking?Would I still be eligible to buy them?

In my agreement I have 30 days to purchase them if I quit. If I am fired the options expire.

quincy

in Virginia. I’ve been at my company for a few years and have been thinking about buying the shares that has vested through my incentive stock option. It is a funny environment and I don’t know how it will be perceived. My brain went to a weird scenario and I don’t know where to find an answer.

say I write my company a check for my vested shares and they just don’t like it. Can they fire me after me asking?Would I still be eligible to buy them?

In my agreement I have 30 days to purchase them if I quit. If I am fired the options expire.
Huh?

PayrollHRGuy

Why would they fire you for taking part in a program they created?

zddoodah

say I write my company a check for my vested shares and they just don’t like it. Can they fire me after me asking?
Your employer can fire you at any time, and it would not be illegal to fire you for exercising a stock option (although I find it nearly incomprehensible to think that any employer would do that). Would firing you constitute a breach of the stock option agreement? Obviously, we have no way of knowing.

Would I still be eligible to buy them?
This question is impossibly vague (in part because of your haphazard use of plural pronouns throughout your post), but your eligibility to buy shares of your employer's stock is obviously governed by documents that no one here has read.

What is it that makes you so paranoid as to think that your employer might fire you for exercising vested stock options?

quincy

I suggest that you read your stock option plan carefully and thoroughly. That's probably the only place you will get an answer to your question.
Reading the plan and/or asking the employer. Reading the plan makes the most sense but, unless there is a real fear of the employer, simply asking can be easiest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">