• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income based manager won't return calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

Received a letter by mail from the leasing manager of the income based apartment complex. Been on their wait list for over two years now. They won't return calls. I've called twice. They gave me by the end of the month to call them. It seems like they are blowing me off or something. Should I complain to the BBB or state?

They don't allow anyone to visit without calling first. Last time I stopped in they said you have to make a call to visit. Due to covid they didn't allow anyone to visit

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe someone beat you to the unit.

Look, there really is no way any of us (including you) can know the why of the failure to return your calls. Maybe their machine is broken. Maybe the secretary got married and is on a honeymoon. Maybe ... (myriad other reasons).

The BBB is a private entity. Complaining to them would do very little to help. Speaking to your caseworker (or equivalent) for the income based program that you are a part of may have a better chance at success.

commentator

Calling twice is not really much of a wholescale effort. Most places, nowdays, require a lot of persistent calling to get answers. It's also possible you're not going to get the vacancy, so there's no urgency for them to return your call and get the bad news to you. If there is that kind of wait for the properties, it's like a radio call in for the prize where they talk to caller number one, or caller number four and ignore all the others. This isn't illegal.

quincy

What is the name of your state? IL

Received a letter by mail from the leasing manager of the income based apartment complex. Been on their wait list for over two years now. They won't return calls. I've called twice. They gave me by the end of the month to call them. It seems like they are blowing me off or something. Should I complain to the BBB or state?
You should call more than twice. Can the leasing manager be reached by email or text message?

Why do you think that your situation has anything to do with civil rights or discrimination?

zddoodah

Received a letter by mail from the leasing manager of the income based apartment complex.
What was the subject of this letter? Why was it sent to you?

They gave me by the end of the month to call them.
Call for what purpose?

It seems like they are blowing me off or something.
Perhaps they are.

Should I complain to the BBB or state?
You can complain to whomever you like. I would not expect that a leasing manager for an income based apartment complex would give two hoots about the BBB. On the other hand, if this complex is regulated by a state agency, a complaint to that agency might be more appropriate.

quincy

As a note: Income-based housing often has long waiting lists. When you enter your name and information on a housing waiting list, you will be contacted if/when your name rises to the top of the list and there is a vacancy available. It is not unusual for waits for low-income housing to be 3-5 years long in many areas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">