• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect information on rap sheet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I was convicted of a crime in 2008 and received 2 years probation. I recently obtained my rap sheet and it says that I was sentenced to 2 years in the department of corrections in 2013 but this is not true I never been to jail. And this is preventing me from gaining employment. What can I do


Super Secret Senior Member
In NY I would say contact the Division of Criminal Justice Services but I can't find any real equivalent in Illinois.

I would say take a look around here:


You could also try getting in touch with the Illinois State Police - maybe they can direct you to the proper place if ICJIA can't help.


Junior Member
Sentenced vs. Jail time

I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV. My only real world experience is traffic court.

You said your rap sheet says ' Sentenced ' to 2 years, not that you served 2 years.

It sounds to me like you were Sentenced to 2 years and that sentence was suspended, pending successfully completing 2 years of probation.

If you had violated probation, the suspension would have been lifted, and you would have served the time. There would be no additional adjudication needed.

I would expect the rap sheet to read that you Served 2 years, if you had spent the time in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential