• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incorrect lien on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atlaswv

California
Hello,
An attorney put a lien on our property for someone else's credit card debt. how can I fight this? I Fedex-t a letter to them demanding the removal of the lien, but have not
received any answers. so far they have not returned my phone call either.
thank you very much for your help!
atlaswv

atlaswv

Thank you... also, I previously informed them that the we are not the ones with the debt... letters and calls keep coming...can I sue them for harassment? and... Can I file a complaint with the state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you believe the reason is for this mixup? Are you somehow related to this "someone else"?

quincy

What sort of time is involved (e.g., when was the lien placed on the property; when did you discover the lien)?

atlaswv

Does he own the home?
not at all!!! and his ss# is very different than mine or my husband..... we made the mistake back then, to let him live with us for 2 weeks, so his last address shows our address.... on top of that, his name is almost the same as my husband's....

quincy

No, but this would ruin our credit... furthermore, I don't want this to be forgotten and then come back to us when we do want to sell in the future..
You are smart to be dealing with this now. It is just good that you will not be pressed for time by having a house sale or refinance to worry about.

This sounds like a simple case of mistaken identity but this mistake should never have occurred. The debt collection agency failed in properly doing their homework (due diligence).

Because you have suffered no apparent harm yet, you can probably get this resolved and the lien lifted without a lawsuit. A formal letter (best if drafted by an attorney) to the agency's attorney should be all that is necessary.

atlaswv

You are smart to be dealing with this now. It is just good that you will not be pressed for time by having a house sale or refinance to worry about.

This sounds like a simple case of mistaken identity but this mistake should never have occurred. The debt collection agency failed in properly doing their homework (due diligence).

Because you have suffered no apparent harm yet, you can probably get this resolved and the lien lifted without a lawsuit. A formal letter (best if drafted by an attorney) to the agency's attorney should be all that is necessary.
Thank you so much for your help, I hope this will be resolved without further problems... thanks again!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
not at all!!! and his ss# is very different than mine or my husband..... we made the mistake back then, to let him live with us for 2 weeks, so his last address shows our address.... on top of that, his name is almost the same as my husband's....
How "almost" the same? Anthony/Antony? William/William Jr.?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">