• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incorrect support order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



*******We live in Arizona, but the child and mother live in Minnesota*******

My boyfriend was in the Marines and out of the country when his daughter was born, he was home on leave for a weekend and got a girl pregnant. While he was over seas he received letters from the courts saying he had to appear, and his commander had everything delayed because they needed him there. When he was discharged after his 4 years he went and got the paternity done to prove he was the father. After that was determined he went to see the court lady that determined what his payments would be, he brought his tax forms, all his LES (like a paystub but it shows detailed deductions) for the last four years. The woman said that it was impossible for him to live off such a small amount and put his income down as 30 some thousand a year, compared to the 12-14 thousand he actually made. We aren't sure how to deal with this because he moved to Arizona to start college and there is no possible way to pay $500/month. We would like to get a correct payment amount and be able pay that monthly. Another thing is that when he was over seas he was sending the mom money any chance he could get but there was never any record of that and no way to get a record. We also want to develope more of a relationship with her, he was with her all the time from the time he got out and when he moved to AZ. His parents babysit while the mom is at work a couple days out of the week, is there some type of out of state visitation we can get?

One more thing, we hear a little about something in MN called "fathers have rights too" where if a father starts paying the support regularly the back pay gets dropped, is that true? or is there a good site I could check out to research it more? I know we need to get an attorney real soon, I just want to do some research for myself and my boyfriend so we know what is going on and what his rights are too.
Thank you for any help and advise, we appreciate it very much!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential