• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent contractor denied wages earned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Arkansas. My husband is a licensed mental health counselor and works as an independent contractor. He recently contracted his services through a mental health agency for a month and earned $980. The agency is refusing to pay him the money he earned while under their contract because they are mad that he didn't stay longer. We have called for two weeks and were unable to get past the receptionist to talk to anyone in payroll or the owner. The owner finally called us back today and claims that my husband owes HIM $1200 for "training" since he didn't stay for a "probationary period", which does not apply to an independent contractor. He is trying to charge $100/hr for 12 hours of training, even though my husband was only "trained" for 4-5 hours, as verified by the assistant director who trained him. The assistant director also informed us that there is no company policy stating independent contractors must pay for training if they don't stay a specified time. I asked the owner to produce a document with my husband's signature saying he would pay for training, but he informed me that he could do whatever he wanted with a private contractor. He told me that I could file whatever complaints and forms I wanted, but it wouldn't do any good and they are keeping our money. What can we do to get our money? Are there any government agencies that protect independent contractors? The money they are keeping is Medicaid money. Does that make a difference? Please Please help us!



In Maryland it's called a Mechanics Lien. You could file a complaint in small claims court. Go to the district court and ask them if they have forms for a small claims complaint.


I'm a Northern Girl
It might be worth placing a call to the state DOL, just in case IC's are protected in your state, but in most states that's not the case. If that's what you find out, I agree that small claims court is probably your best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential