• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

independent contractor - termination pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

funsure

What is the name of your state?I'm resident in the UK but have been an independent contractor for a company in Texas for 8 months. The contract states 30 days notice, but they have recently terminated the contract, effective immediately. Am I entitled to pay for the 60 days notice?

JETX

funsure said:
What is the name of your state?I'm resident in the UK but have been an independent contractor for a company in Texas for 8 months. The contract states 30 days notice, but they have recently terminated the contract, effective immediately. Am I entitled to pay for the 60 days notice?
That would depend largely on the EXACT wording of the contract. One thing to consider though.... is it worth it for you to travel to Texas to file a lawsuit over 30 days (or 60 days.... your post says both!!) pay??

F

funsure

contract wording ...

Sorry for the confusion it's 60 days and it's worth $17,000 to me. Is that worth the visit or is that too small a sum in the big picture? The wording is probably pretty standard, here it is.... ("the company" refers to the employer not me.)

"This agreement may be terminated by either party upon 60 days prior written notice to the other party. In the event the company's termination of this agreement for any reason other than Consultant's alleged breach of any part of the agreement, the company agrees to pay the consultant all earned and unpaid fees. Termination pursuant to this provision shall be in addition to and without prejudice to any other right or remedy to which either party may be entitled at law, in equity or under this agreement."

There was no breach of contract or any bad feeling between the company and myself to cause the termination. The termination is not an issue just the payment.

Have I grounds to pursue this notice payment?

JETX

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that your pay is $17,000 a month (or for two months), correct??? If so, then the issue could be worth your trouble. I would suggest you contact a competent lawyer in the city where the employer is located and discuss the issue of costs and possible actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">