• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indian Reservations and Insurance Regulations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knotcops

I am a captive insurance agent for a large insurer in Arizona. I have been instructed by my superiors that I may not write ANY business on the local Indian Reservation due to the fact the Reservation is a so-called Soverign Nation and State or Federal laws are superceded by the Tribal law and any litigation arising out of a claim would be tried in the Tribal courts.

Any thoughts on this? Does this not violate Federal and State discrimination laws?

My thoughts are that just as your company can choose which states they want to write coverage in, tribal land, just as each individual state, has it's own state (tribal) law.

Why is it discrimination when your company may not write insurance in Texas, or New Jersey, or California? As a soverign nation, the Indian Reservation has their own laws and courts. If an insurance company does not like their laws they can pull out.

Why is this discrimination?

HomeGuru

knotcops said:
I am a captive insurance agent for a large insurer in Arizona. I have been instructed by my superiors that I may not write ANY business on the local Indian Reservation due to the fact the Reservation is a so-called Soverign Nation and State or Federal laws are superceded by the Tribal law and any litigation arising out of a claim would be tried in the Tribal courts.

Any thoughts on this? Does this not violate Federal and State discrimination laws?
**A: yours is not a discrimination issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">