• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana parenting time interpertation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (Indiana)? Ok my daughter is in middle school she is doing track. She has a history of depression, adhd and low self esteem. Her therapist recommended getting her into sports/activities and her dad keeps bucking this I feel this is addressed in the Indiana Parenting time guidelines. I feel when I read them that she should be able to do so with out interference from her dad and he is to provide the transportation on his time. I am copying and pasting the parts that pertain to this I want honest answers. Thank you!

2. School Activities. Each parent shall promptly notify the other parent of all information about school activities, which is not accessible to the other parent. A parent shall not interfere with the right of the other parent to communicate directly with school personnel concerning a child's school activities. The parent exercising parenting time shall be responsible to transport the child to school related activities.

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (Indiana)? Ok my daughter is in middle school she is doing track. She has a history of depression, adhd and low self esteem. Her therapist recommended getting her into sports/activities and her dad keeps bucking this I feel this is addressed in the Indiana Parenting time guidelines. I feel when I read them that she should be able to do so with out interference from her dad and he is to provide the transportation on his time. I am copying and pasting the parts that pertain to this I want honest answers. Thank you!

2. School Activities. Each parent shall promptly notify the other parent of all information about school activities, which is not accessible to the other parent. A parent shall not interfere with the right of the other parent to communicate directly with school personnel concerning a child's school activities. The parent exercising parenting time shall be responsible to transport the child to school related activities.
That section says nothing about interfering with participation in school activities. The section refers to one parent's responsibility to inform the other about school activities to which the 2nd parent has no access, or to refrain from interfering with the 2nd parent's right to communicate with school personnel.

It does not mandate that the 2nd parent is required to accommodate the sports schedule and provide transportation.

This is the part that addresses extracurricular activities for teens:

2. Special Considerations. In exercising parenting time with a teenager, the non-custodial parent shall make reasonable efforts to accommodate a teenager's participation in his or her regular academic, extracurricular and social activities.
Note that this section still does not mandate that the 2nd parent must participate in the manner you're hoping.

LdiJ

That section says nothing about interfering with participation in school activities. The section refers to one parent's responsibility to inform the other about school activities to which the 2nd parent has no access, or to refrain from interfering with the 2nd parent's right to communicate with school personnel.

It does not mandate that the 2nd parent is required to accommodate the sports schedule and provide transportation.

This is the part that addresses extracurricular activities for teens:

Note that this section still does not mandate that the 2nd parent must participate in the manner you're hoping.
I agree, but its possible to take the issue to court and get a judge to order that the other parent allow the child to participate in sports during their parenting time. There is no guarantee, but its possible.

it is recommended by her doctor and our therapist that she do these things for her weight and to help with her depression and self esteem problems with her peers. We are looking into taking this further because poor kid can't do anything because of the visitation schedule. I have soul custody and we are using the most current Indiana parenting time guidelines.

update opinions please

ok Got a letter from my attorney about this issue. I need honest opinions please. Our daughters therapist had mentioned co parenting counseling/mediation for the long on going issues we have had. So the attorney wants to ask the court to order that so we can try to work things out so she can do the school functions. The attorney actually said that per the guidelines it's clear he has to let her attend and it is clear that he is to share in the transportation but he would like to go with the recommendations her therapist made so we can try to resolve things. I am all for this for our daughters sake even though it has not worked in the past i'm going into this with a clear mind and a open heart. Our Attorney is also putting in for a request for a modification of PT and is asking that the guidelines be enforced for the issues at hand as it has been recommended by her therapist for her self esteem and depression issues.

I did ask our attorney what to do in the mean time as our daughter is in track now and mandatory practice starts this week and meets in april. Our Attorney advised me to give Dad the schedule (I already have) E mail Dad the start of the week to remind him and ask him if he is planning on attending and if he is taking her with him after. The attorney said that if Dad says no and that our daughter can't attend to let her attend and take our daughter to our meeting place when her event is done and offer Dad make up time until we get this ironed out. The attorney said this is covered in the guidelines and I will be fine. We all know guidelines can be read and sometimes understood differently and I do not want to get into hot water with the Judge so I need honest opinions here.
Thanks in advance:confused::confused:

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
ok Got a letter from my attorney about this issue. I need honest opinions please. Our daughters therapist had mentioned co parenting counseling/mediation for the long on going issues we have had. So he wants to ask the court to order that so we can try to work things out so she can do the school functions. He actually said that per the guidelines it's clear he has to let her attend and it is clear that he is to share in the transportation but he would like to go with the recommendations her therapist made so we can try to resolve things. I am all for this for our daughters sake even though it has not worked in the past i'm going into this with a clear mind and a open heart. He is also putting in for a request for a modification of PT and is asking that the guidelines be enforced for the issues at hand as it has been recommended by her therapist for her self esteem and depression issues.

I did ask him what to do in the mean time as she is in track now and mandatory practice starts this week and meets in april. He advised me to give him the schedule (I already have) E mail him the start of the week to remind him and ask him if he is planning on attending and if he is taking her with him after. He said that if he says no and that she can't attend to let her attend and take her to our meeting place when her event is done and offer him make up time until we get this ironed out. He said this is covered in the guidelines and I will be fine. We all know guidelines can be read and sometimes understood differently and I do not want to get into hot water with the Judge so I need honest opinions here.
He who? Him who? Your attorney? Dad? The milk man? I hate pronouns without antecedent nouns. :cool:

I'mTheFather

ok Got a letter from my attorney about this issue. I need honest opinions please. Our daughters therapist had mentioned co parenting counseling/mediation for the long on going issues we have had. So the attorney wants to ask the court to order that so we can try to work things out so she can do the school functions. The attorney actually said that per the guidelines it's clear he has to let her attend and it is clear that he is to share in the transportation but he would like to go with the recommendations her therapist made so we can try to resolve things. I am all for this for our daughters sake even though it has not worked in the past i'm going into this with a clear mind and a open heart. Our Attorney is also putting in for a request for a modification of PT and is asking that the guidelines be enforced for the issues at hand as it has been recommended by her therapist for her self esteem and depression issues.

I did ask our attorney what to do in the mean time as our daughter is in track now and mandatory practice starts this week and meets in april. Our Attorney advised me to give Dad the schedule (I already have) E mail Dad the start of the week to remind him and ask him if he is planning on attending and if he is taking her with him after. The attorney said that if Dad says no and that our daughter can't attend to let her attend and take our daughter to our meeting place when her event is done and offer Dad make up time until we get this ironed out. The attorney said this is covered in the guidelines and I will be fine. We all know guidelines can be read and sometimes understood differently and I do not want to get into hot water with the Judge so I need honest opinions here.
I disagree that the guidelines are clear on this issue. The commentary differentiates between the younger and older teens, and the examples involve high school students. Also, the guidelines address regular activities, and the commentary examples show activities that both parents value and have agreed to. So, I disagree that, per the guidelines, it's clear he has to let her attend. The guidelines do not support a contention that he does not have to let her attend either. There is enough leeway to allow a judge to rule either way depending on other factors.

Your attorney is much better equipped to advise on this issue since he should know how your local courts interpret and rule on the guidelines.

We had a clarification hearing, the judge stated that she will be allowed to attend school functions on the non custodial parents time and he said that it clearly states in the guidelines that who ever has our daughter is responsible for the transportation. I have been taking her to him after track anyhow but she is allowed to do these things and be a kid I am so glad we asked for the clarification but I did tell our daughter only 1 extracurricular thing at a time as it would not be fair to her dad to constantly not see him because of this. I had hoped this would encourage him to come see her do these things but no luck with that :( I am glad she is getting to do things now but I am sad that he still don't come and she see's that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">