• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ineffective Heat Pump

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. Zen

Hey all. I bought an apartment style condominium in Massachusetts back in November 2017. The inspection for everything went well before the purchase and sale. After purchasing and moving into the condo, I realized that the heat pump does not adequately heat my apartment. When it was 20-30F outside it took several days to get up to 70C inside, and I supposedly have high efficiency windows that trap heat well. I have not noticed any drafts either. I had the heat pump looked at by a third party technician and he mentioned that it likely has to be replaced, and it is out of warranty.

I'm just a little confused because the inspector mentioned that the heat pump was fine at the time of inspection. Is there any legal recourse I have against the inspector or seller? Or do I just have to eat the cost of the new heat pump?

Last edited:

justalayman

It sounds Like you have no backup heat source for your heat pump.

You need to understand about heat pumps to start. Most heat pumps become inefficient and as such ineffective below about 25 deg. They generally have resistance electric heat strips or even a gas furnace backup. The most typical I’ve seen electric resistance heat strips (coils in some vernacular).

So, a perfectly fine working heat pump will act precisely as you have described. I would investigate the presence of a back up heat source and whether it is performing as it should be.

As to recourse if the inspector was wrong; check your contract with the inspector. Most such contracts limit damages from poor inspection to be the cost of the inspection.

pac72

sounds like auxiliary heat (electric strip heaters? ) aren't working. get another competent tech to look at your system..sounds like the first tech was guessing. or is a salesman in disguise
from a 25yr + heating tech to you..

Mr. Zen

Yeah the mechanic mentioned that the coils needed to be replaced. I could just replace them but it's still $2000, or I could replace the system for $5000, or look into some other system.

In any case, I assume I don't really have a case for the previous owner/inspector to handle this do I?

justalayman

The only thing I can see that may allow you recourse is if the seller was aware of the issue and indicated something contrary on a sellers disclosure. If the seller knowingly misrepresented an issue, there are often avenues to seek recompense.

pac72

well. these days most new systems have a 10 yr parts warranty, and older 10 yr s or so systems are noted to have leaks in the indoor coils..maybe yours is a leaker and old owner just recharged it before sale?? hard to prove. your best option in my opinion would be replace the system.. then hopefully enjoy your new system for the next 10-15 yrs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">