• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

infested product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tulai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

i purchased a wooden decorative product from a large well known department store, several months later wood bugs started coming out of it. i had no such problem before and from my research i found out that these type of bugs start off as eggs deeply embedded and take months to grow and start making their way out through holes. i am afraid this might have caused damage to my house, flooring or furniture. Also i need to mention that i also read that this happens in wood that is not properly treated or coated. what can i do to hold this store responsible for damage and pay compensation? i havent contacted them yet as i want to be aware of my rights first.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

i purchased a wooden decorative product from a large well known department store, several months later wood bugs started coming out of it. i had no such problem before and from my research i found out that these type of bugs start off as eggs deeply embedded and take months to grow and start making their way out through holes. i am afraid this might have caused damage to my house, flooring or furniture. Also i need to mention that i also read that this happens in wood that is not properly treated or coated.
Have you identified the bugs that have made their way from your wood product? What kind are they?

tulai

from appearance compared to my search it is called powderpost but this is not a professional identification. item is still in its place above the mantel as i have just discovered this today because this item is in an room that i rarely use and the mantel is a bit high.

quincy

from appearance compared to my search it is called powderpost but this is not a professional identification. item is still in its place above the mantel as i have just discovered this today because this item is in an room that i rarely use and the mantel is a bit high.
I recommend you seal up the wood product and contact the Texas Department of Agriculture.

https://www.texasagriculture.gov

You might not have a legal action against the store where you purchased the product if the products were imported from another country and not flagged at the border. It is likely that the store was as oblivious to the bugs in residence as you were.

I hope your mantel is not wood.

tulai

thanks for your reply, my mantel is not wood but sadly sitting on it is an expensive wooden framed mirror :( do you think i should still contact the store knowing the piece is imported

quincy

thanks for your reply, my mantel is not wood but sadly sitting on it is an expensive wooden framed mirror :( do you think i should still contact the store knowing the piece is imported
Does the bottom of the wood product note a country of origin, by any chance?

I do not see that it would hurt for you to contact the store where you purchased the item to inform them that some (as yet unidentified) bugs are coming from it. This could help the store prevent an infestation of their premises.

I think you need to positively identify the bugs, though, and for this I think the Department of Agriculture (or a local extension service) would be your best contact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">