• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info on a songwriter's contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikeamys333

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

Hi, my name is Amy. I don't know if I'm posting in the right section or not, if I'm not then please forgive me.

I was recently offered a songwriter's contract. The contract is through a company named Paramount Group, out of Nashville. They are basically a company that will record your demo, but they also have contests. I entered a contest and that was when I was offered the contract.

If I sign the contract and let them do a demo, they say that they will pitch my song to whomever they feel would be appropriate. After I receive royalties, they want 5% of any sale I make that is "as a result of their efforts." I guess that means forever, as there's no time limit. Other people who have accepted their deal... apparently Paramount Group (not to be affiliated with the Paramount movie guys, lol)... apparently they put out a compilation CD once a year, and they take several of these songs and put them on the CD. After that, I don't know what happens, either to the songwriter or the song. I've searched the internet and haven't found anything about "what happened afterwards."

So with that info, here are my questions:

1) There is no time limit to this contract. Is that standard or could that be a bad thing?

2) They contract says, any sale I make "as a result of their efforts" they want 5%. Does that mean that my song will be tied up with them (forever), so that I couldn't go somewhere else at some future point? There is not much to this contract, and it seems to me that might be a little vague. If I did go somewhere else, might they be able to at some point, come up and say that I did well "because of their efforts", even though it wasn't? Might it be hard to determine what exactly *was* a result of their efforts?

3) If my song goes on to be one that is included in their compilation CD, any ideas what would happen afterwards? I guess I'm wondering if this is a tactic a company might use to get a song, use it up, and throw it away....? :confused:

I have thought of contacting them but they have no contact email. Just a place where you can sign up for their contest newsletter. They request that you *don't* contact them because they are so busy and don't have people standing by to answer questions, is basically what they say. I know of one person who somehow managed to get an email, and was spoken to in a manner that seemed very hard, and said "if she had questions she wasn't ready to make it big." So this too makes it seem, I don't want to say shady, but a little off the beaten path.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would be very happy to hear it. I'm undecided as to whether or not I should go through with this, on the one hand I feel really good that it was recognized... but on the other hand, if they are just using me for a song, and it doesn't really get "pitched" to anybody but their own people to make a yearly CD... and then if it effectively ties up my song so that I can't use it with anyone else to take it further... well, you probably see where I'm going with this. Thanks in advance.

BelizeBreeze

There is no time limit to this contract. Is that standard or could that be a bad thing?
Although it's not standard, it's not always a bad thing. They are licensing the song for publication. The real question is, what does the contract say as to copyright?

They contract says, any sale I make "as a result of their efforts" they want 5%.
Which is open to interpretation and could mean that if you shop the song down on Music Row with the demo tape they made for you, then any proceeds from a sale could be contracturally owed to them.

If my song goes on to be one that is included in their compilation CD, any ideas what would happen afterwards?
Yes, each artist on the compilation CD is given a 'writer's share' of the proceeds and from that the company gets 5%. And that's over and above their production costs, marketing, distribution and other such costs.

"if she had questions she wasn't ready to make it big."
Now, as to other suggestions. You are in Nashville for Christ's Sake. There are so many open mike nights around town that it's hard NOT to have a place to go to have your music heard. And even if you can't carry a tune with a forklift, find someone who can to perform your music.

There is also a cable show on channel 30 on Saturday nights just for new artists and many independent labels and organizations generally referred to as Indie Music.

It's time you stopped waiting for someone else to 'make you a star' and start doing what most artists find they have to do, start hitting the pavement and doing your time.

Hit some of the open mike nights, even if you can't sing. Do a search on Independent music nashville for some of the 'legitimate' contests and competitions and events. Then do it all over again.

And believe it or not, some of the best places to meet industry 'insiders' is in church. Belleview Community Church's music director is Lionel Cartwright. We have had Phil Keagey, Gary Chapman, Amy Grant and many others perform during services and many music industry management types attend.

Many churches also hold 'songwriter' nights where, regardless of the type of song (it must only be appropriate) you can perform and get feedback.

So, what is your next move?

Last edited:
L

lararover

Hi Amy,

Do not listen to this Belize Breeze guy....the "Breeze" is blowing right through his ears and coming out the other side.

He pretends to be so cozy with his neighbors...but the numskull does not even realize that Amy Grant has not lived at Riverstone Park in over three years. Also.....Belize...YOU go to church???? Is that a joke? Well, you must not be too serious since you do not even know how to spell Bellevue (i.e. Belleview.....GOSH you are educated) correctly. You sound like one of those typical Nuvo Riche "Brentwood" wannabees....who really want to be one of US BELLEMEADE dwellers. Keep dreaming.

I too am a Nashvillian....and a native one as well. I would be careful who you and your friends are calling "hillbillies" and "stupid"...Mr. Breeze.....or I just might figure out just who you really are. My uncle has been in the music business for YEARS and KNOWS Amy Grant personally (one of her best friends)and I know exactly where she lives....NOW. I also know the area you claim to live in VERY well.....and Alan Jackson. So please stop trying to play Mr. know it all on this site because I know I can speak for LOTS of people on this site....WE ARE SICK OF IT!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">