• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information on Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Va
My dad past away and had several credit cards. My mom is on one of them as joint. My question is she responsible for the credit cards that my dad had? Please explain this to me, and what she needs to do? She does not have the income to make these payments or to pay them off. All that my Dad had was their house and a couple of older cars. What are my mothers responsibilities for the debt. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

CraigFL

If your parents were married until yor father's death, your mother is responsible for the credit debt also. Chances are that your father used the cards to benefit the family.

Betty

If your parents were married until yor father's death, your mother is responsible for the credit debt also. Chances are that your father used the cards to benefit the family.
Since Va. is not a community property state - the wife would only be responsible for the joint debts - not on individual debt under husband's name only. This is even if debt accumulated during marriage.**
OP - whose name(s) is/are on the deed to the house - both parents? How much are the cars worth?
**Creditors take from deceased's estate if probate needs to be opened - not from wife for husband's debts only.

Information about debt

So with the house being in both my mothers and my fathers name, does this just mean the house is hers and the amount of credit card debt that was on my fathers are not hers to pay off. They only had the one card joint. Can the credit card companines come after her at all. The cars are all old the one she dirves is a 1997 and the others is a 1986 pickup that don't run, 1993 Explorer dad had but was in both of their names. There is no will. I would think there would be no need I don't think for the probate right. I sure do appreciate your answers.
Thanks

justalayman

Depending on how the house was titled and if you need to ever retitle anthing that was in dads name and if there were any bank accounts in his name that were not joint with another would make a big diff as to the need to open probate.

Mom is liable for the joint credit card regardless of anything else that may happen.

Information

The house was listed with both mom and dad with Survivorship. So does this mean she needs a new deed or not do nothing. So she is responsible for the joint card, but not the rest, is that right. They had a bank account joint and mom had to take a death cert. down and that was the end of that. I am just worried that without enough money to pay the cards off let alone make the payments without dad that mom is responsible for them and that they could take her house or who knows. I am thankful for your help.

Betty

It seems if the house was listed with both mom & dad with right of suvivorship, the house should be your moms w/o any problems. Yes, your mom would be responsible for the jt. credit card but not the ones under dad's name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">