• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Informer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onthewayout2

Iowa

I am a healthcare provider and am leaving my current practice in a corporate environment to pursue self employment. I have been willingly letting my patients know that I will be leaving and giving them my contact information since I gave my notice. My boss called me earlier this week and told me that I was not to tell anybody I was leaving until the last day I'm there, and I have "no right" to tell them where I'm going. He has no knowledge that I've already done this. I feel I have the right to let my patients know where I'll be. Am I in the wrong? Can I still tell them where I'm going after he told me I can't? There is nothing against it in the employee handbook. Can he sue me for this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hair splitting time:

In my personal opinion, there is nothing wrong with your saying, effective xx/xx/xxxx I'll be working for XYZ clinic, and leaving it at that.

However, for you to say, effective xx/xx/xxxx I'll be working for XYZ clinic; call me for your follow up appointment and be sure to have your records transferred, could be considered as interfering with his business.

Which are you doing? Note that so far I am expressing a personal, not a legal opinion.

onthewayout2

In reply to cbg,
I am just telling them where I'll be and my effective start date...giving them my email if they have questions.

cbg said:
Hair splitting time:

In my personal opinion, there is nothing wrong with your saying, effective xx/xx/xxxx I'll be working for XYZ clinic, and leaving it at that.

However, for you to say, effective xx/xx/xxxx I'll be working for XYZ clinic; call me for your follow up appointment and be sure to have your records transferred, could be considered as interfering with his business.

Which are you doing? Note that so far I am expressing a personal, not a legal opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">