• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance from abroad for a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rik89

What is the name of your state?CA

My son who is under 18 is going to receive an inheritance from the UK that is over $100K. I know that amounts over $100K need to be reported on form 3520, but the wire transfer will be to my US bank account. As it relates to the form did my son receive the money or did I receive it? Who's name and SSN should be on the form?

Last edited:

LdiJ

My son who is under 18 is going to receive an inheritance from the UK that is over $100K. I know that amounts over $100K need to be reported on form 3520, but the wire transfer will be to my US bank account. As it relates to the form did he receive the money or did I receive it? Who's name and SSN should be on the form?
Why wouldn't you set up a bank account for your son to receive the inheritance? Why in the world would you have it come to your bank account?

rik89

Forget to mention. My son has Down Syndrome so is not able to have his own bank account. I will have to manage his money going forward.

rik89

He will get government benefits next year and I will set up a special needs trust prior to that. First step is to move the funds to the US.

LdiJ

He will get government benefits next year and I will set up a special needs trust prior to that. First step is to move the funds to the US.
Then you set up a custodial bank account for your son to receive the money. Again, you really don't want the money coming into YOUR bank account. It will just complicate things for you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

My son who is under 18 is going to receive an inheritance from the UK that is over $100K. I know that amounts over $100K need to be reported on form 3520, but the wire transfer will be to my US bank account. As it relates to the form did my son receive the money or did I receive it? Who's name and SSN should be on the form?
Then set up a bank account in his name with you as custodian or trustee. That's a common thing to do with kids under 18 so pretty much every bank will offer that and be familiar with how to set that up. Or get the special needs trust set up beforehand and have the trust open a bank account to receive the money.

Since is it his inheritance the Form 3520 should have his information on it, not yours.

rik89

That's great advise. I was not aware of these custodian accounts. I found that Capital One bank has a youth account that has the youth as the primary and reporting to the IRS based on their snn. I really appreciate the advise. I will set up a SN trust sometime, but i'm not in a hurry as there are more restrictions on how many is spent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">