• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommyd78

My question has to do with a sizable amount of money I received when my dad died with me being the sole heir. I was and am still married to the same person when I came into this money. Is my wife entitled to half this money? I say yes my sister says no. We both have trusts containing stock portfolios and we have 2 house we have obtained since we got married. I should also say I live in the state of Illinois.

Last edited:

nextwife

Have you always kept the funds in seperate accounts and not co-mingled it with marital funds/assets?

Indiana Filer

Is your sister trying to insist that you not give your wife any of YOUR assets? Does your sister think you have to give the sister YOUR assets, and not give them to your wife?

If you inherited the assets and don't hold them jointly with your sister, you can give them to your wife, to your sister, to little Johnny who lives down the street, or to me.

tommyd78

Sorry to be vague, I was talking if my wife were to pass away. Our lawyer set up trusts with money split in each accounts

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">