• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nj
My siblings and I inherited a home from my mom. My brother is currently living there, which is fine. We wanted to have the house put in his name with the understanding that he would eventually pay us off for our portion of the house. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to have the portion of the house that as mine be listed as an asset for me, while still having the house in his name?
Last edited:


Senior Member
If, for example, you want to sell your part to the other sibling, your asset would no longer be the real estate itself but the mortgage (you are the lender; sib is the borrower).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential