• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited IRA, incorrect distributions ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Decades

Mistake 1?
I am the executor of my dads estate . Dad passed away 10/26/2018, leaving an IRA approx( $11000.00) with named beneficiaries as us three siblings. Unbeknownst to me until now, eight days after his death the bank took an annual distribution of $6900.00 putting it in his joint checking account , myself as the joint account holder . This annual distribution was set up to automatically trigger at a certain date every year , which just happened to be 8 days after his death. I am thinking any distributions should have gone to us named beneficiaries. This transaction generated a 1099 in my dads name and the $6900 flowed to his final 2018 1040 return . That return didn't have enough income to pay taxes so am thinking no big deal . However am thinking this should have been distributed to us 3 kids and gone on our 2018 1040's???

Mistake 2?
A few months later in 2019 as the executor i went to close out that IRA as well as his other accounts at that bank. The regular accounts were put into the estate checking that was set up at that same bank. They wrote a check out to me for the joint checking . The IRA is not that big , only about $4400 left in it at this point so we just want to close it and take distributions. Before distributions the bank takes a RMD of $441 and puts it in the estate checking account ???? which generated a 1099 in the estates name which flowed to income on the 1041 estate income tax , also the state estate income tax return . Not a real big deal , not worried about a bit of an over payment . However this probably should have gone on us three siblings 2019 1040's

Mistake 3 ?
So now there is like approx. $3600 left in this IRA and and they make a check out to each of us siblings for $1200 each as distributions. For some reason this never generated a 1099 and consequently we forgot to reported the income on our 2019 1040's .

What on earth should i do at this point ? File a bunch of amended returns ? Am I correct that mistakes have been made ?

LdiJ

Mistake 1?
I am the executor of my dads estate . Dad passed away 10/26/2018, leaving an IRA approx( $11000.00) with named beneficiaries as us three siblings. Unbeknownst to me until now, eight days after his death the bank took an annual distribution of $6900.00 putting it in his joint checking account , myself as the joint account holder . This annual distribution was set up to automatically trigger at a certain date every year , which just happened to be 8 days after his death. I am thinking any distributions should have gone to us named beneficiaries. This transaction generated a 1099 in my dads name and the $6900 flowed to his final 2018 1040 return . That return didn't have enough income to pay taxes so am thinking no big deal . However am thinking this should have been distributed to us 3 kids and gone on our 2018 1040's???

Mistake 2?
A few months later in 2019 as the executor i went to close out that IRA as well as his other accounts at that bank. The regular accounts were put into the estate checking that was set up at that same bank. They wrote a check out to me for the joint checking . The IRA is not that big , only about $4400 left in it at this point so we just want to close it and take distributions. Before distributions the bank takes a RMD of $441 and puts it in the estate checking account ???? which generated a 1099 in the estates name which flowed to income on the 1041 estate income tax , also the state estate income tax return . Not a real big deal , not worried about a bit of an over payment . However this probably should have gone on us three siblings 2019 1040's

Mistake 3 ?
So now there is like approx. $3600 left in this IRA and and they make a check out to each of us siblings for $1200 each as distributions. For some reason this never generated a 1099 and consequently we forgot to reported the income on our 2019 1040's .

What on earth should i do at this point ? File a bunch of amended returns ? Am I correct that mistakes have been made ?
I am thinking that if you had more promptly informed the bank of your father's death and their 1st error, that the other errors would not have happened and they could have corrected the 1st error. An executor needs to be more on top of what is going on with the deceased accounts.

Are you sure that the distribution of $1200.00 to each of you didn't happen at the beginning of 2020? You should probably give your siblings their shares of the $6900.00 distributions and the $441.00 distribution, and the each of you could amend your 2019 returns to add your individual shares of the grand total amount to your personal returns...assuming of course that the 1200 part of it didn't happen at the beginning of 2020.

I do not see any point in amending your father's return or the estate return unless one of them actually had to pay any tax.

Last edited:

davew9128

If nothing else, the IRA distribution after his death belonged on his ESTATE tax return, not his. A taxpayer's tax year ends on the date of death.

As for mistakes #2 and #3, if there are named beneficiaries on the IRA the only thing YOU should be doing as executor is deciding what to do with YOUR beneficial ownership in the inherited IRA. You have no standing to "close out the account" or move the money or do anything with the portion that belongs to the other named beneficiaries.

At what point did you inform the bank of the death?

LdiJ

If nothing else, the IRA distribution after his death belonged on his ESTATE tax return, not his. A taxpayer's tax year ends on the date of death.

As for mistakes #2 and #3, if there are named beneficiaries on the IRA the only thing YOU should be doing as executor is deciding what to do with YOUR beneficial ownership in the inherited IRA. You have no standing to "close out the account" or move the money or do anything with the portion that belongs to the other named beneficiaries.
I agree with the above in theory, but since the two distributions, that should not have happened, went into a joint bank account where the OP was one of the owners, he as an individual had to close that account.

Decades

At what point did you inform the bank of the death?
It is my understanding that IRA's with named beneficiaries ,any distributions would go to the beneficiaries .Hence this particular IRA not part of probate process. If the estate is named as a beneficiary then yes would go to the estate account.

we all agreed to just distribute the IRA proceeds as it was not that large of an IRA.

yes taxpayers tax year ends on date of death and estate fiscal year begins .

thanks for your input

Decades

I am thinking that if you had more promptly informed the bank of your father's death and their 1st error, that the other errors would not have happened and they could have corrected the 1st error. An executor needs to be more on top of what is going on with the deceased accounts.

Are you sure that the distribution of $1200.00 to each of you didn't happen at the beginning of 2020? You should probably give your siblings their shares of the $6900.00 distributions and the $441.00 distribution, and the each of you could amend your 2019 returns to add your individual shares of the grand total amount to your personal returns...assuming of course that the 1200 part of it didn't happen at the beginning of 2020.

I do not see any point in amending your father's return or the estate return unless one of them actually had to pay any tax.

Decades

The $1200 distribution occurred in 2019, hence the question about my need to amend 2019 return. The $6900 distribution occurred in 2018 as stated in my original post . What's done is done , mistakes happen . I need to know what to do now . I too am thinking probably do amended returns for 2018 and 2019. I contacted my dads CPA two days ago that's doing all these returns including my own . Left him a message about all this and he hasn't returned my call yet . Thanks for your input .

Decades

I agree with the above in theory, but since the two distributions, that should not have happened, went into a joint bank account where the OP was one of the owners, he as an individual had to close that account.
per original post :
1st distribution went to the joint checking
2nd distribution went to the estate account ,
3rd distribution went to the beneficiaries

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">