• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited property and tax responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulslayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

The land is located in NC, I live in VA.

My father died 3 years ago, and left his 1/3 ownership of a parcel of commercial real estate to me. The other 2 owners have no interest in putting the land on the market, but I would like to sell it.

They continue to send me tax bills each year, for 1/3 of the amount due. What is my responsibility for this portion of the tax bill, since my name has never been put on any paperwork for the land ownership? All I have is the will and and executrix paperwork stating that it is mine.

seniorjudge

Double post warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

The land is located in NC, I live in VA.

My father died 3 years ago, and left his 1/3 ownership of a parcel of commercial real estate to me. The other 2 owners have no interest in putting the land on the market, but I would like to sell it.

They continue to send me tax bills each year, for 1/3 of the amount due. What is my responsibility for this portion of the tax bill, since my name has never been put on any paperwork for the land ownership? All I have is the will and and executrix paperwork stating that it is mine.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-real-estate-law-questions-11/inherited-property-tax-responsibility-434320.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">