• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inhumsne treatment of an animal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas ..I didnt have a dog house in my yard.Had my St benard 13 yrs and she never went into any dog house I had .However i let her in my house all the time .480 $ fine city is trying to give me.I had to put her down due to age on Saturday

quincy

First, I am sorry about your dog. It is hard to euthanize a pet, especially so if the pet has been a member of your family for many years.

You were fined for inhumane treatment of him? Under what sort of conditions was your dog left outside?

First, I am sorry about your dog. It is hard to euthanize a pet, especially so if the pet has been a member of your family for many years.

You were fined for inhumane treatment of him? Under what sort of conditions was your dog left outside?
No i havent plead on the case yet ..It was cold when the animal conteol knocked on my door .but Sabrina knew how to knocl on my door also and she could have came in ..She came in when animal contol came and walked right back outside ...She has a very heavy coat of hair and does love cold weather.She said someoneI called in a complaint that I left her in the cold .I have lived there 30 years so I do not like that charge .I took very good care of my dog..

quincy

When you go to court, you might want to take photos of your dog to show how she had been cared for over the last 13 years.

Her euthanasia had nothing to do with leaving her outside in the cold weather? How cold was it? How long had she been outside? She was able to walk inside by herself or did you have to open the door for her?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think it would help if you can show what the temps & weather conditions were at the time of the complaint and the time Animal Control came, as well as what weather conditions/temps Bernards can easily withstand, given their use in the Alps. I, personally, would have more concern with a Bernard outside in summer. I have Beagles, which are rather "all-weather" dogs, but I do tend towards "too cold/hot" for me (with weather appropriate attire)? Likely too cold/hot for them. But Newfs, Bernards, Berneses generally handle cold quite well. So show that - what are the climates they are bred to, vs the weather at the time of the complaint/AC visit? A Husky will handle colder temps better than a Beagle, for example. And while your neighbor was not *wrong* to show concern? *This* shows why it was misguided.

commentator

I have recently dealt with the people next door, who had a dog they left outside, and didn't even live in the house! Through the years, the doghouse got torn down, became non functional and there was the dog, in the yard, with no shelter. Did you make trips, go on vacations, travel, leave the property and leave the dog where it could not get into the house, were there times when the weather was bad when "Sabrina" couldn't knock on your door and be admitted? This was an outside dog, with a thick coat of hair, like a St. Bernard but excuse me, when the dog has no place to be except a really cold wet yard, or a really hot miserable shadeless yard, and you're gone, not paying attention to her, that's really abuse. If you loved this dog so much, WHY no outdoor doghouse or shelter?

I would bet money that if you try to defend yourself and they find out about it, there will be a bunch of people show up from around the neighborhood (we had animal welfare on speed dial, as did most of our neighbors) and angrily disagree with your maintaining that you took such excellent care of this dog, when no shelter was provided for her outdoors. You weren't there 100% of the time, she was.

This dog we were so concerned about lived to a ripe old age, but that was partly due to our constant vigilance and care which we sneaked over and provided, the constant checks by animal welfare, and in the meantime, these darn people were fostering other dogs for the adoption society at their other home. Pay the fine. Having no shelter was a mistake.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have recently dealt with the people next door, who had a dog they left outside, and didn't even live in the house! Through the years, the doghouse got torn down, became non functional and there was the dog, in the yard, with no shelter. Did you make trips, go on vacations, travel, leave the property and leave the dog where it could not get into the house, were there times when the weather was bad when "Sabrina" couldn't knock on your door and be admitted? This was an outside dog, with a thick coat of hair, like a St. Bernard but excuse me, when the dog has no place to be except a really cold wet yard, or a really hot miserable shadeless yard, and you're gone, not paying attention to her, that's really abuse. If you loved this dog so much, WHY no outdoor doghouse or shelter?

I would bet money that if you try to defend yourself and they find out about it, there will be a bunch of people show up from around the neighborhood (we had animal welfare on speed dial, as did most of our neighbors) and angrily disagree with your maintaining that you took such excellent care of this dog, when no shelter was provided for her outdoors. You weren't there 100% of the time, she was.

This dog we were so concerned about lived to a ripe old age, but that was partly due to our constant vigilance and care which we sneaked over and provided, the constant checks by animal welfare, and in the meantime, these darn people were fostering other dogs for the adoption society at their other home. Pay the fine. Having no shelter was a mistake.
While I agree that what you describe was negligent. there is nothing that indicates the same in OP's case. Let's not awfulize.

quincy

Here is a link to an overview of the Texas laws on animal cruelty, which includes additional links to the 2020 laws:
https://www.animallaw.info/article/overview-texas-animal-cruelty-laws

The failure to provide necessary water, care, or shelter to the extent required to maintain the animal in a state of good health can result in both criminal and civil actions. It needs to be shown that this failure was intentional, knowing, and/or reckless.

commentator

Lack of a doghouse (shelter) seemed to be the issue. That is a problem even if the animal was a grizzly bear as long as it wasn't roaming free to where it could find shelter. And a St Bernard roaming free would be very much grounds for a neighbors complaint.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lack of a doghouse (shelter) seemed to be the issue. That is a problem even if the animal was a grizzly bear as long as it wasn't roaming free to where it could find shelter. And a St Bernard roaming free would be very much grounds for a neighbors complaint.
I don't have a dog house. I have a shed. But my beags don't roam free, so it doesn't matter. They are either out in the yard, eith me. Or on the deck alone - but know how to ask in, or inside.

Again, bring a Bernard to 13 tells me the dog was cared for. Well.

When you go to court, you might want to take photos of your dog to show how she had been cared for over the last 13 years.

Her euthanasia had nothing to do with leaving her outside in the cold weather? How cold was it? How long had she been outside? She was able to walk inside by herself or did you have to open the door for her?
My dog knows how to knock on my door and anytime weather gets bad and .....My dog has had good care ..a good secure 13 years ..I had her put down because it was time. She weighed 88 pounds and I didnt want ger to suffer.I might have made a city official mad with comments ive made on facebook.Idk.Ill fight it hard as I can..I dont know if Ill be able to sit it out in jail ..But it will all work out .Thank you !!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">