• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

injured at school...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taylord5

I live in the state of Oklahoma. My son attends the daycare that I work at after school. At about 4 p.m. my son entered my classroom and said he fell off the slide at school and hurt his wrist. I looked at it and asked him to grip my finger, which he could not do. I was sent home from work early to take him to the er. After taking xrays at the hospital it was determined that his wrist is broke. I asked him if he cried when he fell off the slide and he said yes. I then asked if he said anything to his teacher. He said yes and she told him to just stay off the slides. this all happed at about 10a.m. and nobody even looked at his wrist and I was not notified that he was injured. He spent all day holding his arm to his stomach and still no one did anything. My question is can I sue the school for negligence in the state of Oklahoma?

taylord5

He is 8. In speaking with him further he was told to quit whining and to stop saying ow or he wouldnt get any ice which he never got. This same teacher that was supervising during recess told his actial teacher that he was fine and he was made use his hand to do work. Not 1 person listened to him or even looked at his injury. Yes it happened on a slide. He said he was climbing up the slide and got to the top and slipped. Where was the supervision...

quincy

He is 8. In speaking with him further he was told to quit whining and to stop saying ow or he wouldnt get any ice which he never got. This same teacher that was supervising during recess told his actial teacher that he was fine and he was made use his hand to do work. Not 1 person listened to him or even looked at his injury. Yes it happened on a slide. He said he was climbing up the slide and got to the top and slipped. Where was the supervision...
It sounds as if your son was treated horribly.

I think you are smart to speak to the principal first but you might want to line up an appointment with a lawyer.

I hope your son's recovery is rapid.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Understand that if you raise ruckus at the place you work that you may find yourself on the wrong end of things.

quincy

Understand that if you raise ruckus at the place you work that you may find yourself on the wrong end of things.
I agree that raising a ruckus should be avoided - but I actually think the school (or at least the supervising teachers) might have acted negligently by ignoring the son's injury.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I suspect the incident did not happen at the daycare, as the child is 8 and the accident occurred at school. (Unless it is an aftercare at the school.)

quincy

I understood it to be after school care at the day care (where the mom works) but that the incident happened at the son's school (where the mom doesn't work).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am confused... she said it happened at 10am. How is that after school... And I thought it happened at the school where mom works. Okay... clarification, please OP.

quincy

The injury was at 10 am at the son's school but mom was not notified. Mom discovered the injury at 4 pm when son went to the after school daycare where the mom works.

Any ill-advised ruckus would be at the son's school and not at the day care (mom's employer).

taylord5

The injury occured at my sons school. I work at the daycare he attends after school and didnt know about the injury until thenatI just spoke with the principal and the supervising teacher who didnt deny any of it. Her excuse was she thought he was just being dramatic. I will be talking to an attourney in the next couple of days.

taylord5

It sounds as if your son was treated horribly.

I think you are smart to speak to the principal first but you might want to line up an appointment with a lawyer.

I hope your son's recovery is rapid.
I appreciate your kind words. I am def. Going to be meeting with an attourney.

quincy

I think speaking with an attorney is smart. The attorney can let you know if there is good reason to sue, to perhaps cover medical costs if nothing else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">