• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured hand at neighbors house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? MAINE

First, I am not sure that I am in the right forum, but I'll continue.
I was injured at a neighbors property when a jack supporting his truck collapsed and crushed my right middle finger. The injury occured when I was asked to help install a lower ball joint. This was a favor... no payment. When the jack supporting the truck collasped, my right middle finger was seriously injured. The jack collapsed unexpctly. The injuries include partial bone crush, separated tendon, separated and missing nerve. Surgery was requred to repair the finger. A skin graph was taken from my right arm to replace the missing tissue and close the finger. 2 pins were installed to stabalize the finger. There is expected to be a loss of sensitivity due to a missing nerve. The injury occured 3 weeks ago, so range of motion of the finger is yet to be determined. I am attending physical therapy, which is expected to last at least 2 months.

I recently asked the neighbor to contact his homeowners insurance to make a claim. Yesterday an insurance adjuster representing the neighbor contacted me for a statement. The incident above was recorded on tape. I also stated that I have medical insurance through work, but there are deductables + co-pays. The insurance adjuster stated that they are processing a claim under my neighbors automobile insurance. The adjuster also stated that they feel that their client is not liable decause there is no neglect. The adjuster offered $ 1000.00, but also stated they they don't have to offer anything, since there is not neglect on their client. The adjuster also stated that I should have been aware of the jack, and been knowledgable if jack stands were in place.

I have been out of work since the injury on short term disability. I am right handed, so that leaves me with limited use. Example, can't change sons diaper. I am expexted to be out of work for four more weeks, then light duty type work. Is this a homeowners claim? What should I expect as a settlement. Any advice is appreciated.
Last edited:


Junior Member
get a lawyer asap and keep expecting them to offer you the lowest settlement that they can get away with.


I'm not an atty, but an insurance agent. If you are the titled owner of a vehicle (in most states), you have coverage under YOUR Personal Injury Protection on your auto policy. Then your company may subrogate against the other party. There is no deductible for PIP coverage and it should cover lost wages as well. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential