• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

injured myself at health club in massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddha4

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

I ruptured my patella tendon playing basketball at a health club.

I am advised that they (health club) must carry insurance to cover such events. If I press, are they required to reimburse me for my surgery/medical bills?

Thx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

buddha4 said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts

I ruptured my patella tendon playing basketball at a health club.

I am advised that they (health club) must carry insurance to cover such events. If I press, are they required to reimburse me for my surgery/medical bills?

Thx

My response:

Probably not. In fact, more than probably not. You see, by signing their contract, and using their facilities, you accepted the risk. You have not mentioned anything in your post that would indicate that their property somehow "increased" the risk to a level not contemplated by the exercise you were involved.

So, no. You're not getting a dime.

Then you ask, "Well, if that's true, then why do they carry liability insurance?" There's still "premises liability"; e.g., if you slipped and fell as the result of something they did wrong, like placing a loose, slippery, carpet down. Or, an employee accidentally smacked you in the face, or something along those lines.

But, because you were involved in an activity contemplated by your contract, then no, your claim will go nowhere, fast.

IAAL

B

buddha4

I understand what you're saying and I agree. I think what really upsets me is that after I injured myself they (health club employees/manager) did nothing to assist me.

While I lay injured off the side of the basketball court a club trainer walked over to me and asked me for a telephone number of someone who could come pick me up. She soon returned to tell me that she reached the person and that they're on their way. The trainer then actually left the building, and me, on the edge of the basketball court, my knee completely swollen. After skipping the length of the basketball court on one leg I stopped and hailed some people working out nearby and asked them if they could please help up the ramp to the waiting area. They were kind and helped me, while employees stood nearby watching. The club had no crutches or stretchers or anything. My sister was smart enough to bring a pair.

I guess I'm thinking they should have offered "some" assistance after the injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">