• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured on the job - Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nozel

I was injured on the job and reported the incident to my manager immediately and he wrote an injury report up. I work through a temp agency so i also reported the injury to them the next day when they were open. I wrote up a summary of what happened, who i reported it to, and the date and time of the incident. The temp agency then sent me to their urgent care they use for work related injuries. I spoke with a doctor and he prescribed me a mild steroid and a prescription grade anti inflammatory. Note that he did not do any type of examination to determine the severity of my injury or send me to have an x-ray done to ensure my tail bone/coccyx bone was not fractured or more severely injured. I work for a company where heavy metal materials are lifted (sometimes 100+ pounds) and we use picker forklifts that go 10-20 feet in the air, i didn't feel safe trusting the doctors diagnosis based of just a few basic questions, so i called the temp agency and told them what i had been told. When i went to drop the paper work off at the temp agency they said i was not placed on any work restrictions and was fine to report back to work. The urgent care forgot to do my required drug screen so i was sent back after dropping the paperwork off. This is where i asked to speak to the doctor again so i could ask him how he could determine a diagnosis for my injury just based on the few basic questions he asked me, no examination of any kind and not ordering an x-ray to be sure. That is when a different doctor came and had me do a few basic movements like bending, twisting and tried to have me lay flat on the doctors bed and lift and rotate my leg to determine pain, she then put in my paperwork that i was to be on sedentary/desk work until my follow up visit in 5 days and wrote me a prescription to have x-rays done which i could not do because the place was already closed and opens at 8 am tomorrow. Im wondering what course of action i should take, i could not get in contact with my manager after all this had been done to let him know that i wouldn't be coming into work because i was not able to get x-rays done because of the time, i left 2 voicemails and 2 text messages detailing what i was doing. I also tried the building phone number listed on google to see if i could get a hold of someone else but it did not ring or go to voicemail, it was just silent.

Nozel

That was part of my plan, im also wondering if how this was handled seems weird? Just the whole process and the how the doctor approached the situation and initial "treatment" of the injury without any sort of exam. In the end i just want to be safe and know if it is fractured or not and i didnt want to risk working without having that information.

quincy

I have no idea why the first doctor limited his examination as he did but I think you were smart to get checked out more thoroughly.

I hope your x-rays show all is okay.

Good luck.

PayrollHRGuy

While you should notify your supervisor of any missed time or work restrictions the temp agency is actually your employer and it is their workers' compensation carrier handling the claim so you need to be contacting them with questions re: your injury.

xylene

A temporary employment agency soft bribing a captive doctor to minimize a claim?

In Florida? Seems impossible.

HRZ

OP.....take care to follow whatever rules your employer has in place or the law specifies as to workmens comp issues Or reporting to work issues etc ..and keep good written records ....your employment is "at will" and some employers make it a practice to shed employees with work injury claims especially "back injuries " ....don't make anything easy for them .

HRZ

OP ...some, perhaps many staffing agency employees fall under a concept known as joint employee ...and until the smoke clears in your situation I would continue to advise both the staffing agency and the site employer , both with any required forms etc....hopefully all turns out well and you return to,work soon with but a bruise ....

Nozel

So i had my x rays done today, i will know my status in the next 1-2 days. I went to the staffing agency first thing in the morning to drop off doctor paperwork that clearly states i am to do no lifting, bending, twisting of any kind until i am re-evaluated in 4~ days. The lady proceeded to tell me that i am under no restriction and that i should return back to work... I then made it known that the paperwork says the opposite, i am to do sedentary/clerical work only. She proceeded to make the snide comment of "So how can you sit at a desk all day with a "bruised tailbone?"" and i said that i am surely not going to go twist, bend and lift 50-100 pounds 10-20 feet in the air if i cant even sit properly. I then asked if i could have a copy of my doctor paperwork and injury report that i wrote up at the agency, she basically refused my request and said that it was not her priority and that i might not get any copies today. I told her that i would appreciate a text or phone call when i could come pick my copies up and walked out. I went to the urgent care and got all the copies of my paperwork from them instead. I showed up at work around 4:00pm and brought a copy of the paperwork that states that i am basically restricted from doing physical labor, the manager told me that he assumed i was taking time off and that i was in the clear to take the time off to be evaluated, i also got a copy of the injury report that was written up at the job site the night of the injury because the staffing agency refused to provide me with a copy of theirs. I am following all the guidelines, submitting all the necessary paperwork and following the treatment avenues the doctor has given me. I am also going to talk to a family friend who is a lawyer to ensure that if necessary i have all the proper documents if a lawsuit were to occur. I also want to say that no verbal or documented safety training was done on the job site so that this injury could have been prevented.

quincy

Thank you for the update.

It is nice that you have a family friend who is a lawyer who will personally review everything for you.

The staffing agency does not sound as nice as your business manager.

Good luck.

HRZ

Keep / make your own safe copies of any originals you give either employer, first from now on ...

Nozel

Keep / make your own safe copies of any originals you give either employer, first from now on ...
After I was refused copies i have been doing just that, i guess it is never safe to assume that people will do their job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">