• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured Spouse Tax Refund - is it marital property in a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandmom3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC.

My son has very low income. His wife does not work. She left him (suddenly) and took their 3 small children to her mother's house 200 miles away. She has no bills.

She has student loan debt. He filed an Injured Spouse form so he could get back 1/2 of his tax refund. She is now claiming he should give her 1/2 of the tax refund when it arrives. Is that true (since she already cost him the other half?).

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC.

My son has very low income. His wife does not work. She left him (suddenly) and took their 3 small children to her mother's house 200 miles away. She has no bills.

She has student loan debt. He filed an Injured Spouse form so he could get back 1/2 of his tax refund. She is now claiming he should give her 1/2 of the tax refund when it arrives. Is that true (since she already cost him the other half?).
Why is any of the refund lost? Is it that the refund is intercepted and applied to her student debt? Your statement isn't real clear.

If so she needs to consider the 1/2 retained for payment of the debt is her half. She deserves no more.

LdiJ

Why is any of the refund lost? Is it that the refund is intercepted and applied to her student debt? Your statement isn't real clear.

If so she needs to consider the 1/2 retained for payment of the debt is her half. She deserves no more.
It wouldn't be 1/2 that would be taken...not if she wasn't working. Very little would be taken. Of course, if someone filled out the injured spouse form wrong, that could change things.

grandmom3

It wouldn't be 1/2 that would be taken...not if she wasn't working. Very little would be taken. Of course, if someone filled out the injured spouse form wrong, that could change things.
Oh - I was just assuming it would be 1/2 - he has not gotten it back yet. And I was wrong - she did work a tiny bit. But their entire income is extremely low - but they have three small children - so it was a big tax refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">